Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

Avatar

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
4,456,044
Community Members
 
Community Events
176
Community Groups

Unable to fix character encoding error after upgrade to confluence 8.0.0

Environment:

  • Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
  • MySql Server version: 5.7.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Ubuntu)
  • mysql-connector-java-5.1.47-bin.jar
  • Confluence Server 8.0.0 (self hosted)

Dear community,

I have just updated confluence server from 7.13.1 to 8.0.0.

At startup, Confluence first reported an error, saying that database tables should have utf8mb4 character set and utf8mb4_bin collation. (Unfortunately I did not write down the exact message and logs are purged).

I verified, server hat the correct character set but my database unfortunately not. So I followed the steps in the following document to fix this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-744326173.html

I verified the database again with the SQL statements given in above document, as far as I can see, I have character set utf8mb4 and collation utf8mb4_bin everywhere in the MySQL confluence database now.

Sill, on startup I get the error:
Detected tables with non-default character encoding. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/TABrFw

Unfortunately the log file does not provide more information:


2022-12-03 11:21:19,634 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1] [atlassian.confluence.setup.BootstrapApplicationStartupListener] checkConfigurationOnStartup Detected tables with non-default character encoding. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/TABrFw

I am pretty lost now - was utf8mb4 wrong? How to proceed?

Kind regards,

Michael

 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

At the end, the solution was easy:

When following

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-744326173.html

I had created a file with all the ALTER TABLE statements as recommended, and executed them as a batch of commands. Though, for an unknown reason, two of the ALTER TABLE statements seem to have failed - at least I got two columns as result when I checked again with

mysql> SELECT CONCAT('ALTER TABLE `', table_name, '` MODIFY `', column_name, '` ', DATA_TYPE, ' CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_bin', (CASE WHEN IS_NULLABLE = 'NO' THEN ' NOT NULL' ELSE '' END), ';')
-> FROM information_schema.COLUMNS
-> WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'mauspedia'
-> AND DATA_TYPE != 'varchar'
-> AND
-> (
-> CHARACTER_SET_NAME != 'utf8mb4'
-> OR
-> COLLATION_NAME != 'utf8mb4_bin'
-> );

I executed the two returned ALTER TABLE statements again, then Confluence started without this error!

0 votes
Srinatha T Atlassian Team Dec 05, 2022

Hi @Michael Patschull ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. 

Confluence 8.0 does not support Mysql 7. The same is mentioned over here and i think that is the reason you are getting error . 

Thanks,

Srinath T

Hi Srinath,

yes, Confluence told me the same when I finally managed to start again and logged in as admin :-)

I had upgraded MySQL to version 8 already, when I found the not executed ALTER TABLE statements described above. So Murphy's law hit twice that day - but at least I have a running system with an up-to-date database now!

Kind regards,

Michael

0 votes

Hi @Michael Patschull 

From the link you provided I see that supported version of utf8mb4 is on Confluence 7.3 and later, running on MySQL 5.7.9 or later. However I see that you have MySql Server version: 5.7.40. Perhaps you should update your MySQL to 5.7.9 or use utf8. 

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , thanks for looking into this - I am afraid but 5.7.40 is the latest release of MySQL 5.7, which was published 2022-10-11. Still, maybe I should take this opportunity to try and upgrade MySQL to version 8.0, since version 5.7. will become EOL end of 2023 so or so.

I will have to test first, which problems this will raise, though.

Dang! You are right. I totally got confused and I compared a 5.7 to 5.9 version. Apologies. Yes, do try that, or change it to utf8

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events