Unable to add single section and move sections in new design?

Christan Fergus May 27, 2020

In the "old" confluence I was able to add a section, then had the ability to move it up or down in the document. It appears this functionality has been removed, unless I'm just not seeing it. I see you can add new sections if you want columns, but I need the ability to add a single width section and then move it if I need. My use case is that I have very distinct sections in my documents, often with tables, lucid charts embeds, etc. Now it is extremely difficult to move sections around if I need to. In the old system, I could just move the section up or down to where it needed to go. 

1 answer

0 votes
repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

@Christan Fergus 

Single sections are not necessary in the new cloud editor, since you can also create content outside of the sections.

I also miss the move function or is it well hidden? :(
It is annoying that you cannot move an entire section.

bstyler May 27, 2020

I have that ability but we are server-based.

repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

@bstyler 

The Cloud Editor works somewhat differently than the editor of the server version.

Christan Fergus June 1, 2020

@repi thanks for responding! I do understand that you can create content outside a section. The problem is you now are not able to move blocks of content up or down in the doc (for purposes of document clarity, etc.) 

Unfortunately, this is part of a trend I've noticed in the UI that "assumes" you know exactly how the document is going to be formed when you put pen to paper. It also doesn't lend itself well to "living" docs that will grow and modify as time goes on. By not allowing sections to be rearranged, or even table columns to be moved, copied, etc., it is severely limiting the usability of the document itself. The challenge for me is that we did have this functionality at one time, and it has apparently been removed.  

repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2020

@Christan Fergus 

The editor used in the confluence cloud version is very different from the editor of the server version.
There are quite a few inquiries in the community as to why this and as is no longer available in the new cloud editor or why it is more cumbersome.
I only use the cloud version to learn and test purposes.
I prefer the server version.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events