• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to Connect to Confluence pages via Firefox

I am new to Confluence and (oh dear!) I was asked to fix the document portal since users are Unable to connect even on the local machine. This access was working but now we cannot determine why it is not working now.

The atlassian-confluence.log and catalina.out log files indicate problems but I don't have the experience/knowledge to trouble shoot.

Given this problem, is there a sequence of steps to take to narrow down the problem?

Please advise.

Bryan

1 answer

0 votes

@Bryan Kropf,  

Your question indicates you're using a Cloud plan, but you're asking questions about a server installation.. I assume the tag is just wrong? 

If users can't even access the webpage, I'd check to make sure that the application is actually up and running. If it is running, then it's likely a problem with whatever web server is directing traffic to your application. If it's not running, try starting it back up and seeing if that works.

Thanks,

Kian

Kian,

Thank you for your reply.

However, please keep in mind that I am still trying to build context around this problem. In short, I cannot tell if the application is running or not.

The Confluence web interface will not respond to a http://localhost:8090 request from a local web browser. All firewalls are turned off, BTW. Also, Confluence was configured to use the java from /opt/Atlassian/confluence/jre/bin/java.

Might there be something I have overlooked?

Please help

@Bryan Kropf

It sounds to me like the system is just down. There could be a variety of reasons for that. Have you tried rebooting the application?

Thanks,

Kian

Kian,

Well, yes, I have rebooted the Virtual Machine, rebooted the /etc/init.d/confluence service script (/etc/init.d/confluence reboot), and even used the /opt/Atlassian/confluence/bin/start-confluence.sh script to start it after a reboot.

What no one has shared with me are the dependencies on accessing the http://localhost:8090 confluence page.

So, Kian, what does a successful http://localhost:8090 confluence page depend on? What needs to be working in order to view this confluence page, please?

@Bryan Kropf

The application just needs to be up and running. If you've restarted it already, and localhost isn't working, it's possible that something is preventing it from starting up. If you run

ps  -ef | grep java

Do you see the Confluence application running? Are there any errors in the logs indicating that the start-up failed?

Thanks,

Kian

I see java running with many parameters. Which parameters should I see that relates to the Confluence application? That relates to the web service running?

Please advise.

Kian,

One last bit of information. I do not see the application opening a service port 8090 used for web access to Confluence.

The netstat command does not list the port 8090 while the Java application is running.

What is the dependency here? Hoe do I force the application to open this service port?

Please advise.

Bryan,

it's possible that the application is not configured to use port 8090, but I believe that is the default. Are there any errors being thrown in the Confluence log?

Thanks,

Kian

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

Get to know the Confluence team!

Go “behind the screen” to meet some of the Confluence Cloud team. In this video series, we tackle some of the hard-hitting questions you never knew you wanted the answer to!  Meet some of the ...

236 views 0 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you