Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Unable to Access Restricted Confluence Pages with Full Admin access

Hello,

I am a Confluence administrator for my organization.  Recently users have reported that pages that had been public have now been set to restricted.  

When I go to access these pages using my Site Administrator account, I am rejected and receive the following error:

"You don't have permission to view this page

This is because it's inheriting restrictions from a parent page. A space admin or the person who shared this page may be able to give you access."

The URL does not indicate which space the page is tied to, or what parent page it is inheriting permissions from (example link: https://confluence.XXXXX.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53215354).

Is there a way for me to find the owner of this page, edit the restrictions, etc?  I am stuck and unable to find information. Please advise if I can provide additional information to resolve here.

1 answer

0 votes
Srinatha T Atlassian Team May 28, 2022

Hi @Maxwell Schroeder ,

Welcome to Atlassian community. 

As an admin, to get access to a restricted page, go to the bottom left corner, space tools>permissions>restricted pages. If you cannot get to Space Tools go to Confluence Admin>Space Permissions and click Manage Permissions next to the desired space to add yourself as a space admin. Once you have the access you should be able to get page details. 

Basically the point is A user with admin rights has, well, admin rights.  Not the ability to see and do anything.  They can grant themselves the ability to see and do anything, but the admin right does not grant them any "browse" rights automatically.  They still have to be given those rights in the space permissions.

Hope that answers your question. Have a good day!

Thanks,

Srinath T

Hello Srinatha,

Unfortunately, your advice does not resolve my issue.

I am a Space Admin for all Spaces within Confluence, as I am part of an 'Admin' security group which is assigned to all spaces.  When I am on the restricted page in question, there is no 'Space Tools' option listed in the bottom left corner.  To test, I explicitly added my user account with 'Admin/Edit' rights for the space where the restricted page is hosted, but nothing has changed.

Beyond that, I am able to get to 'Restricted Pages' via the main Admin console, but the restricted page in question is not listed here as one of the restricted pages. 

I am beyond confused, and unable to edit the page, or edit restricted page edit access directly when I am on the page itself.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

924 views 13 27
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you