Umlauts in PDF exports

ChrissW-R1 July 8, 2020

Hi guys,

we have a multi-language wiki and community, which use it. So on some pages we have special characters (umlauts) like ä, ö, ü and ß from the German alphabet, but also ş from the Turkic alphabet.

If we export these pages as PDF, the German characters are printed in the right way. But for example the ş is missing in the export. This is very problematic in names.

Original: Ümit Rajesh Meißner-Hagen Aktaş
PDF export: Ümit Rajesh Meißner-Hagen Akta

In a Word export every works fine.

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

If you use the built-in PDF export feature, you can use a custom font. Use one that contains all Unicode characters.

See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/advanced-pdf-export-customizations-198806890.html#AdvancedPDFExportCustomizations-IncorporatingOtherFonts

ChrissW-R1 July 13, 2020

Hi Aron,

thanks for your assistance. With non-default fonts the exports works like expected. I used the DejaVu family and every is fine.

But I changed the font not in the stylesheet, but used this help article from atlassian: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-a-pdf-in-another-language-175473.html

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

I am getting reports from a user of problems with umlauts. It works OK for me in Safari but I can recreate it in Opera.

That seems like its not a Confluence problem but browser related.

Any ideas?

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2021

Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader, which is the defacto standard PDF viewer.

If the characters are displayed correctly in AR, it means that the file itself is correct, and it is browser that doesn't use the correct font.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2021

Hi @Aron Gombas _Midori_ 

The PDF is exported to the downloads folder from both browsers

when opened in preview on my Mac   the Safari version is correct, the Opera one has missing characters.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events