URL Arguments dynamic page contents

Roberth Edberg August 31, 2017

Hi,

I want to by URL open a page and by specifying something like <URL>?page=xxx&section=yyy dynamicly include a section (yyy) from another page (xxx).

Is this possible?

/Roberth (new here)

3 answers

0 votes
Roberth Edberg September 1, 2017

One document is a Alert description. Another document is a system description. In the system description doc, I would like to add an alarm sections with information on what todo if specific alarms occur. Then I would like to be able to open the alarm description doc with the systemname as argument and get the specific alarm section from this system is shown dynamicly in the alarm document.

Do you get it?

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2017

Okay, this can be done with the projectdoc Toolbox (for Confluence Server) with the dynamic transclusion feature. This feature is available with the next version we are about to release next week.

The Transclusion Macro allows to define a transclusion and the dynamic transclusion feature allows to override parameters of this macro (identified by their IDs in case you need to override more than one transclusion). The (short) documentation for this feature is already online. I suppose this would meet your use case: You have a transclusion to a system document in the alarm document. You call the page with the alarm document and provide the name of the system document. The transclusion macro will then include one or more sections (you may also dynamically determine) of the system document into the alarm document.

I do not know of any other tool to support the dynamic transclusion, but since I am one of the authors of the projectdoc Toolbox, my view may be biased. :)

Roberth Edberg September 6, 2017

Thanks, will talk to our Confluence people to add it for evaluation.

/Roberth

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

Thank you for your feedback!

Please note that the 2.0 of the projectdoc Toolbox is about to be released, but not yet available. The latest version (1.17) does not have the "Remote Controlled Document" feature.

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2017

Well, it took some extra time to complete this 'week', but finally version 2.0 of the projectdoc Toolbox for Confluence server is released today (release notes).

Information on Remote Controlled Documents can be found on our server as part of the online manual. One of the macros that support this feature is the Transclusion Macro. This section provides a brief overview on how to use it. 

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2017

The pointers Nic gave are leading to possible solutions. These are the macros provided by Confluence that provide transclusion facilities.

In case you are a still a little puzzled, maybe you could provide some information on the problem you are facing (and less on the solution that may solve the problem)? Maybe we then could provide more details on possible  solutions ...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2017

That's never going to work, it's just not what Confluence is structured for.

Try the macros "include", "excerpt-include" and "excerpt"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events