UNC Paths as Links

Todd Kane March 21, 2023

Howdy everyone:

Believe me, I've searched high and low for an answer to how I can simply add a UNC path to my Intranet page in Confluence.  None of the articles referencing anything about file:/// and all that business DO NOT work.  When you attempt that method, Confluence says "Please enter a valid URL"

Seems awfully basic functionality to allow UNC paths, especially when my users are logging in via SAML.

Does anyone have a true fix?

Thanks for any help you may have.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The "fix" is to understand what a UNC is.  It is not a URL, and it's not "static" - it depends on how your networks are set up.  In the most simple case for a UNC that will vary: /home/nic/bob.txt is not going to land on my bob.txt on your machine. And, of course, the server's UNC reading will be different (because it probably doesn't have /home/nic)

Try swapping to URLs, these define how to reach a resource and exactly where it is.

Blake Duffey June 23, 2023

This is a poor response.  A UNC is quite fixed in an environment using something like DFS.  The namespace root \\domain.com\foo is distributed to the company - and that content can be hosted on a single or multiple shared folders across single/multiple hosts.

DFS Namespaces overview | Microsoft Learn

For a user where Confluence is an intranet-only solution, wanting to leverage UNCs is a pretty expected behavior.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Um.  You do know that that article is just a longer (and much better detailed and expansive) version of what I wrote?  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events