UI Styleguide - iFrame? Frameset?

kayla block
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 25, 2013

I'm trying to create a UI style guide using Confluence.

I have a list of things (buttons, data grids, text fields, etc), and when the user clicks on a link, I want that list of things to still show, and show samples and drilled down information to the right.

The answer would seem to be an iFrame or even an old fashioned Frameset, but I don't see any way to get my links to behave in that way.

I don't see any versioning information on our instance of Confluence, but we recently upgraded, so it's probably close to the latest or the latest.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hallo kblock

Would the Documentation theme work for you? It shows a tree of pages in a panel on the left.

You could create a page for each item in your list. People could then navigate through the list by choosing the items in the left-hand panel.

If you wanted to, you could them also use a Children macro (or a Pagetree macro) on the top-level pages, showing the hierarchy on the body of the page as well as in the left-hand panel. This could be a useful way of showing the doc structure in PDF and printed versions of the documentation.

You can see the Documentation theme at work in this space:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Confluence+Documentation+Home

Here's a guide to configuring the Documentation theme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Configuring+the+Documentation+Theme

I hope this answers the question.

Cheers, Sarah

kayla block
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2013

Hi Sarah

Based on what I'm looking at, I think we're already using that Documentation theme. But the left nav is being used.

I don't have Admin rights. Can I create a left nav for a particular space? And if not, can it be done with admin perms in a way that doesn't change the left nav in all spaces?

SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hallo kblock

You do need space admin permissions to configure the left-hand nav. (Not Confluence admin, just space admin.) And yes, it's possible to change the config for just one space. You can even have sections, perhaps with the global navigation options at the top, and space-specific navigation options underneath. By default, the Documentation theme adds a tree of pages just from the current space.

Cheers, Sarah

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events