Turn "More Actions" menu into buttons

AccountName:AIB August 29, 2017

Instead of having the ... More Actions menu, is it possible to replace it with buttons that would perform the same actions in fewer clicks. For instance, replace "Export to PDF" option with a customizable button that performs the same PDF export process (performing all underlying PDF Stylesheet options).

Is such a thing even possible in Confluence? Surely others have thought of this before with some degree of success. 

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

Old versions of Confluence did it.  But the UI started to take up too much space as the list got longer, so it was moved into a button.

It should be possible by hacking the css a lot, but that is a core code change.

I've hid all the buttons/actions under the More Actions menu except Export to PDF. No other options are visible to the end-user at any given time.

All I am trying to do is change the Export to PDF option into a single-click button. Thus, there would never be any spatial issues. 

I understand Confluences uses /spaces/flyingpdf/pdfpageexport.action?pageId= as the underlying command. Is there no way to attach this command to a button via html/javascript/css and achieve the above?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

What a horrible downgrade to inflict on the users.

I'm not aware of any javascript that could convert the button, but I do know web-fragments could be coded (and it would be very small) that can insert things like that and link to stuff.

It is extremely juvenile to be judgemental without knowing the full scope. 

Having said that: I managed to resolve the issue with basic html code with the underlying Confluence command. Works like a charm!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

It's very hard to not judge it when someone hides useful things.

Glad you managed to hack it in though. 

I do have a couple of minor things you'll want to think about quickly.  I take it there's no problem being unsupported, and you don't mind that the users can still take the actions, you've just slowed them down.

Usefullness of things is determined by seeing the bigger picture and comprehending corporate privacy policies in this day and age. 

There is no hack involved.

Moreover, users are not slowed down but it greatly speeds up the process. I don't think Confluence would ever support user created HTML ; therefore, "unsupported" is a non-issue.

Additionally, users will not be able to take the actions within the More Actions menu. Wonders of JavaScript within Custom HTML. Go figure!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

You've got a couple of problems with your corporate policies then.  The first one is that they're probably wrong, but that's not a Confluence discussion, so we can ignore that.

The more important one is that I suspect you may have misunderstood what you've done slightly.  Taking the options off the menu just hides them.

Your users can still perform the actions.  All you've done is obscured them a little.

Lol! Thanks for the joke of the day!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

No problem, I thoroughly enjoyed letting your corporate policies provide it!

LOL! Oh the fun to be had with know-it-alls. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

Yes, especially those who don't know what they're doing, haven't quite grasped it, and then try to turn it into a joke. 

Thanks for letting me know about your thinking pattern. Very enlightening!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

Ah, good, so you do recognise that you don't know what you're doing.  Thanks for the confirmation!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events