Trying to create nice button with icon in confluence cloud

Jason Schleifer April 5, 2016

I'm trying to create a really nice button for some content in confluence cloud, but am running into issues making it look good.

I've tried lozenge.. but can't get the icons to show up correctly (even when attached to the page).  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a nice set of buttons?  I know I could make a macro to do it easily if I wasn't on confluence cloud.. but we are..

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jason

4 answers

3 votes
Monika Antos [Adaptavist] April 5, 2016

Why not use CSS to style your links so that they look like buttons?

Here is how to do it:

1. Make sure 'Adaptavist Content Formatting Macros' add-on is enabled (it is by default)
  2. Navigate to your page and open it in Edit mode
  3. Add a div macro to your page, and set the class attribute to 'link_button'
  4. Place your icon and link inside the div body
  5. Add a CSS Stylesheet macro, and style your button. You can use the following code:

.link_button a{
        border-radius: 4px;
        box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.4), 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
        background: #3572b0;
        color: #FFF !important;
        padding: 8px 12px;
        text-decoration: none;
    }
    .link_button a:hover{
        border-radius: 4px;
        text-shadow: 0 -1px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.4);
        box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.4), 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
        background: #1c4b72;
        color: #FFF;
        padding: 8px 12px;
        text-decoration: none;
    }
  6. Save the page

Result - a button that will look like the image below (note that I haven't use any icon here), that will change its color on mouse over:

aabutton.png

Cheers! smile

Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016

Pretty slick!

Jason Thompson August 29, 2016

Brilliant!  This worked perfectly for me.  Thank you for this.

Michael Faux November 18, 2016

I can't find a CSS Stylesheet macro for Confluence Cloud - I think Atlassian has removed it.

Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2016

It's definitely there, but it's just called Stylesheet. There is a chance your admin disabled it though.

Michael Faux November 20, 2016

Thanks Milo, I'll ask the admin to check it out.

1 vote
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2016

Milo's option is a good one. But if you don't have an on-hand graphics program, there is a free online application built for this purpose that we have used with success.  It has a funny name, but it works: www.dabuttonfactory.com 

Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2016

Nice! I'll remember that when I need a quick button.

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2016

Are you writing an Atlassian Connect add-on? If so then you should just use AUI: https://docs.atlassian.com/aui/latest/

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2016

Why not use your favorite graphic program to make the button and add it as a graphic?

Jason Schleifer April 5, 2016

Thanks for the idea, Milo!  I certainly could do that, but I'd like to do something with pure text/css & icon fonts if I can.. it should load faster.

cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events