Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to convert excel file to table in confluence, but it's not working

Vineela Vandanapu July 13, 2018

I have an excel spreadsheet that I need to import into Confluence as a Confluence table so it can be edited on Confluence. I've tried multiple things:

- I attached the excel file, which didn't really work well at all and wasn't what I was looking for

-I embedded the file using the Excel office macro and that was better, but to edit it you had to open in in Excel and upload it again which once again wasn't what I was looking for

-I tried to create a table in confluence and then paste the cells from excel into it because I've seen a lot posts saying that should work. But anytime I tried to paste the cells they pasted into confluence as an image. I made sure I wasn't copying as a picture in excel but it still didn't work. I really hoped this method would be the one but it wasn't.

Using external macros is a bit hard due to security reasons so I can't do that either. Anyone have any suggestions?

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2018

Hi @Vineela Vandanapu

Can you let me know what version of Confluence you are on?  
I am on Confluence Server 6.6.3 and I also use the excel office macro.  When I edit, it does indeed open excel for me to do the edits in externally, but it automatically updates the file I have uploaded too.  there isn't a need for the manual step of save and then re-upload.  I can just save. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2018

Hi Kimberly and @Vineela Vandanapu

I 've made the experience that edit the document directly works best when using Internet Explorer (I know....) but you have to check some presets in your system, so that saving directly works.

Had a huge discussion about that with our IT department...

Like # people like this
Vineela Vandanapu July 16, 2018

I tried using the macro again and this time saving worked fine, so I'm not sure what the problem was last time. Now when I try to use the macro in a different page though, it can't find the file even though it's definitely attached. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Make sure you have the correct page name defined, in the settings for the Macro.  If it's looking at the wrong page, it won't auto detect it.  

Here is a link to some documentation about working with that Macro.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf66/view-file-macro-943962200.html#excel

Hi, I figured it out, I have to publish the page first and then go back and insert the macro. Thanks for your help.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Ah! yes!  I've been tricked by that too, when I was in a hurry.  I should have remembered to mention that.  Glad you were able to sort it out.  I'll add that to my troubleshooting notes, to remind others with the same troubles.

3 votes
Steffi Frank July 15, 2018

what worked here (with older Confluence versions): copy your spreadsheet into Word, than mark the table in Word and copy/paste it into Confluence

I tried this and it worked albeit clumsily, so for now it looks like this might be my best bet. 

Like mmorales likes this
amiram.fuerst March 19, 2020

How do you copy a spreadsheet into word?

Kimber Miller December 18, 2020

Select the cells you want to reproduce from Excel.

Ctrl+C

In Word document, Ctrl+V, then

When you see the formatting control box icon, click to display your options and be sure the first icon is selected. You want to maintain the formatting from Excel.

Next, Click the Table Selector so that the entire table is selected. 
Right-click and choose Table Properties.

In the Table Properties dialog, in the Table tab, clear the "Preferred width" option.

You might want to change the Layout of that section to be landscape in order to accommodate the width of the new table.

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

Hi there,

As this question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

This new macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit modes.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

1 vote
Paul Coutry July 1, 2019

not a great feature 

1 vote
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2018

@Vineela Vandanapu

Is the requirement to convert the spreadsheet into a native Confluence table? The reason why I ask is because you tried the excel macro.  If a Confluence table is is not a requirement, you can always import the file into a file list and keep it a spreadsheet. 

Note: Excel office macro will show the spreadsheet's content in the first tab, so if you have multiple tabs in your spreadsheet, this won't work.

We tend to keep large spreadsheets in spreadsheets due to the limited functionality (compared to Excel) of Confluence's tables.

Steffi Frank July 15, 2018

Jonathan: using the option "worksheet name" enables you to show every tab when you place the macro as often as you have tabs in your spreadsheet

It's not a requirement to use a native confluence table. I would use the excel macro but it stopped working for some reason on every page I try it on apart from my first test page. Even when the file is attached the macro can't find it, so I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.

figured it out, I have to publish the page first and then go back and insert the macro.

0 votes
Lajos_Fidy February 3, 2022

wow Atlassian, congrats on making Confluence absolutely useless. Ran into 2 mayor issues compared to older version within the first 20 minutes of using it.

Collapsible code blocks are not available. This makes it impossible to use Confluence for documentation as multiple 100 rows of code makes the whole page unreadable.

Not being able to copy paste data into Confluence Table from Excel. I mean seriously?? How essential would it be for everyone. I mean you must be trying hard to get people to stop using your application.

Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2022

Hi @Lajos_Fidy ,

You may try to browse the Atlassian Marketplace and search for the apps that allow you to recreate tables from CSV attachments. I think there should be free apps.

Our own add-on that is Table Filter and Charts for Confluence provides all the basic Excel functionality right in Confluence, so it's a paid one.

The app also provides the Table from CSV macro that allows you to recreate tables from CSV attachments and URLs (Google Spreadsheets).

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2022

@Lajos_Fidy The add-on Table Filter and Charts for Confluence is a must if your doing any sort of tabling within the application. You won't get much functionality (table wise) out of the box with Confluence.

If you can't get this add-on, your only other option is to work out of a spreadsheet on a file list page imo. 

Lajos_Fidy February 4, 2022

Thanks for the suggessions, not really looking to buy paid addons, I just want the basic functionality of inserting row and column data into a table. Also not working with big tables, I just want to document some database table structures (MAX 50X5 fields), which are just too big to insert field by field. It just boggles my mind that such simple, essential funcionality has been REMOVED from Confluence, and as a result a 1 minute job turns into a 15 minute job, multiply it with the number of database objects (around 100), it takes aways 1400 minutes of my (or someone else's, as im not gonna do it like this) time.

Like Pawel Bienkowski likes this
0 votes
Laura Rusenstrom February 22, 2021

I'm not sure if this was just luck on my part, but I was able to paste content from Excel into Confluence Cloud as a table by first converting my Excel selection to a table (select your data -> Insert -> Table).

Copying that table and then pasting into Confluence worked for me. It even kept the colours and formatting (which I didn't need, but it was nice to see).

Should not need a paid app to perform this very, very basic function.

0 votes
Jane December 1, 2020

Hi, Polaris spreadsheet for Confluence might be a good option for you. 

You can import an excel file and can directly edit data in a confluence page. 

0 votes
Jaclyn Mazzarella
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 7, 2019

Hi, I think I can help you with an app available for Confluence called Excellentable. It allows you to have a fully functional, exportable spreadsheet right inside Confluence. So, instead of using a Confluence table, you can put your data into Excellentable and export it to display perfectly in Excel. You can also import an Excel file to display in Confluence!

0 votes
softcrts October 4, 2019

Hi,

With "Easy Tables For Confluence", you can import data from excel into a table in Confluence. Here the plugin and documentation. I hope it will help.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220484/easy-tables-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

https://softcrts.com/easytables/index.php

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events