Tree browser in Confluence 6.2.4

Tom Wolff (Admin) September 19, 2017

I just upgraded to Confluence 6.2.4 and identfied an issue that doesn't seem to have an obvious fix. I am running Refined Theme 5.1.11, but I don't have any reason to think that this issue is theme related.

The error is on the Pages page https://wiki.piug.org/collector/pages.action?key=PIUG. The page has two columns:

• Pages -- Recently Updated
  • Tree browser -- Unknown macro: {pagetree}

What is the tree browser and why is it trying to use an unkwown macro?

Does this make sense? Do I need to include screenshots or other information?

Thanks in advance for help.

Tom

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2017

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the link - I was able to view the page with the broken pagetree macro. 

Findings

There is a RefinedWiki Page Tree macro and a Page Tree macro native to Confluence. As for what it does:

The Page Tree macro displays a dynamic, hierarchical list of pages starting from a specified parent (root) page. It can act as a table of contents or a list of related topics. When viewing the page tree, your reader can click a link to view the relevant page. The page's current position is highlighted in the page tree.

The RefinedWiki one is called rw-pagetree so I think the one on your page is the native one. I tested on my Confluence instance and found that I was able to add either one, so RefinedWiki doesn't seem to disable the native macro.

Recommendation

The most common cause of "unknown macro" being displayed in Confluence is a disabled plugin.

Please go to Confluence Admin>Add-ons and change the filter from user installed to all add-ons. Find Page Tree Plugin in the list, expand it, and make sure all the modules are enabled. 

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

Ann

Tom Wolff (Admin) September 19, 2017

Ann. Y

It helps that it was on the open-access part of our wiki. I'm glad you followed the link and figured it out. 

You were exactly correct.

Two of 10 Page Tree Plugin modules were disabled. I enabled both and solved the problem.

pagetree (pagetree) and pagetree (pagetree-xhtml)

Thanks so much for the explanation and recommendation on whta to look for in the future,

Tom

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events