Transparent Projects with JIRA/Confluence

Matthew Bayliss
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 17, 2017

Hi All

As a business we are new to using the Atlassian product suite and are currently planning projects using JIRA Software and I am starting to use pages within Confluence/Hip Chat.

My main question is that I want to make our project transparent to the rest of the business without having to teach a lot of people how to use/access Confluence etc.

What is the best way to publish content regularly from JIRA/Confluence with minimum effort?

You thoughts are appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

It's pretty much "use Confluence to 'publish' stuff".  Confluence is designed to be a place that people write stuff for showing to other people.

You don't need to train people to read it any more than you need to train them to read web pages hosted on other systems.  When someone says "how do I ...?", then the answer is "here's a Confluence page on it, feel free to click around and look at other stuff".

JIRA and the other Atlassian tools are a different matter, as their data is more structured than a page of human writing, and they can be harder for a new user to understand. 

For project data, most of the stuff you're going to want to share with people outside your team is going to be JIRA data (as it's a tracker).  The best thing to do with that is create Confluence pages that draw in the data and select and shape it in a way that suits the audience.  Confluence has JIRA macros and can embed some dashboard gadgets too, it's well worth looking at them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events