Translating documentation written in Confluence

Shona Crease August 20, 2014

I'm looking into ways of updating our technical documentation methods. Our documentation is generally written in French then translated to English. Source documents are either Word or HTML, both of which I, and my CAT tools, understand.

If we were to move our documentation into a Confluence wiki, how could we manage translations? If we consider that the wiki is a monolingual source and that documentation is delivered as pdf, I suppose we simply export it as docx, say, have it translated to English and end up with an equivalent set of pdfs.

But what if we want to make the wiki available in parallel in two languages? I mean the content, not just the interface.

Thanks for any insights you can give me

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Kennedy September 30, 2014

We use the AppFusions Enterprise Translations Hub. Check it out: http://www.appfusions.com/display/LNGOTKC/Home. We're translating to 19 different languages. It is not free. 

Depends what you are trying to do–we are translation product documentation for a global audience using translation memory, machine translation, and human post-editing.

What you choose will likely depend on the quality demanded by your customers.

3 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2014

See this thread if you want Enterprise level translations, all managed, steered, post-edited, published - from Confluence. No exports or imports, and sanity among your site searches for each language, among much other. 

https://developers.atlassian.com/questions/9385432/what-is-the-recommended-approach-for-internationalizing-product-documentation-in-confluence 

1 vote
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Be sure, that when you use a translation plugin, to check the handling of attached images, drawings (Gliffy, Draw.IO),... We encountered some issues on swapping a drawing to another language changed the language inside the drawing for other languages, too.

Shona Crease August 21, 2014

Thanks for the tip - I'll bear it in mind.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2014

You are right Jan-Peter - that is a key requirement. Enterprise Translations Hub for Confluence also supports Gliffy translations natively within the plugin (for any gliffy image in a page) - and a slew of other macros, etc.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2014

There are two plugins that I know of for different languages. They are Scroll Translations and the Language Plugin. Thr first costs money and the second is free.

Shona Crease August 21, 2014

Thank you for providing the missing link!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2014
0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2014

Perhaps you could have two sets of pages for each "page" -- for example, have each page (in French) have a child page containing the English translation. Alternatively, you could have duplicate spaces, with a French and and English version of each space.

Another possibility, which might be harder to manage, would be to have both versions on the same page. You could use Expand macros to let the user choose which one to see, or use some JavaScript to read the browser language setting and display the appropriate one.

0 votes
Shona Crease August 20, 2014

PS Thanks for the blog series and guide on using Confluence for technical documentation. The only thing I realise is missing is handling translations.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events