Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomcat and confluence - does confluence ship with tomcat, or should I install myself before confluence install?

Samuel Levin August 2, 2011

This is kind of cheezy, but my host has a guide on how to set up confluence.

In the guide, there was nothing that mentioned installing tomcat beforehand. Does Confluence come with Tomcat by default? Do I need to install Tomcat first, or will the installation of Confluence do that for me?

Do all of the other Atlassian apps (JIRA, FishEye, Confluence, Bamboo) run in a servlet container too? Going to attempt to forge some tricky ProxyPass solution...

Do these apps run in their own JVM's? Or can I have 4 atlassian products run in one JVM?

Let me know. Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

Atlassian do not support running multiples of their apps in the one servlet container. However, the war distribution (in your own container) and the standalone product are fully supported ways of installing their product.

You will find that the Apache Web server front end to Tomcat container setup is one of the most popular ways of installing their products and you'll find lots of help and documentation around

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2011

If you download the "standalone" version of Confluence, it comes bundled with a version of Tomcat. We also distribute a "war only" version, in case you want to host Confluence on your own pre-existing AppServer.

Pretty sure all our other apps are servlet-based too (well, I know JIRA and Bamboo are).

I wouldn't recommend running the apps in a shared JVM... unsure on our official policy on that, though.

edit: yes, do do indeed ship both a "standalone" (includes tomcat) and "EAR/WAR" (web archive only) distribution for Confluence.

Samuel Levin August 3, 2011

Here's my dilemma. I have a 512mb RAM debian 6 squeeze VPS.

Do you think I'd be ok to spawn 4x 64mb Tomcat Containers, one per Atlassian title, with that amount of RAM? Literally two people will be using each application. I didn't think that I would need a separate JVM for each application, initially.

I wanted to have all of my atlassian tools in one instance of tomcat (9090), and my live application in it's own as well (9191).

I already know how I am going to set up ProxyPass for each, so tomcat will run locally. I just need to know whether I need 5 JVM's, instead of 2.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2011

I can't speak definitively for the other products, but Confluence won't run happily in anything below 128MB... 256MB would be better.

It looks like our official support policy is a separate JVM for each product (see http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Deploying+Multiple+Atlassian+Applications+in+a+Single+Tomcat+Container).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events