Timing out when trying to backup Confluence - even by going directly to Tomcat

neil madaczky November 1, 2019

Hello,

Automatic backups aren't working, and I am trying to "manually" back up Confluence via the UI; I even went directly to Tomcat as suggested, complete with updating the timeout values to 120000 eventually I get the error page "This page isn't working * didn't send any data. | ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

I either 504 gateway timeout if I go to the Apache front end URL or "Proxy Error" 

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

Hello Neil, 

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you!

The most common reason for backup to fail over the web UI is proxy timeout. Proxy timeout kills the connection because it causes Confluence to appear to not respond. 

Another reason it can fail is the size of the Confluence site. Native XML backup is not very reliable for large instances (thousands of pages and spaces). 

You can check the Confluence Server log (atlassian-confluence.log). The log will tell you if backups ran or if they failed for any specific reason. If you're not finding any failures then perhaps the job hadn't failed, and continued to run in the background over a long period of time.  I would then recommend having a look at your backup directory after the automatic backup attempted to run. At times, a backup was initiated and that will be found in your backup directory. See Configuring Backups if you're not sure where to find your backup directory.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events