The relationship between Jira and Confluence

Sutton, Andrew March 12, 2021

I'm sure this has been beaten into the dirt, but can someone simply explain the relationship between Jira and Confluence?  I'm a long time IT guy but I'm new to Jira, my background is not in software development, my company uses Jira to track day to day work it, and it's a bit confusing all the stories and epics and tasks.  I'd be grateful for any simple explanations that people may have..  Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Bhanu March 12, 2021

Hi Andrew,

Jira is a Bug tracking software  - Simply, Jira is everything about Tickets.  Example tickets: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1391?filter=98704

Confluence is mainly a Knowledge Base, People can document anything in confluence and share with their teams etc. - Simply, Confluence is everything about Documents. Example: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-5-10-release-notes-826894762.html

Sutton, Andrew March 12, 2021

That's helpful Bhanu.  Thank you very much.

Like Bhanu likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Jira is used to track work for PM, software development, or service desk projects.

The sister software confluence is a WIKI environment that allows team members to collaborate as a team on JIRA issues, do reports from various sources including JIRA, and allow teams to through their spaces share data and documents. The Knowledge Base feature allows common "knowledge base" articles to be shared with JIRA issue types in the different projects...the individual projects can tie back to specific spaces.

Most organizations use confluence to report data and share data with teams and executives that it is why Confluence is also used a data repository.  

As being manufactured by same company--compatibility is strong.

Usually leadership reports of their JIRA teams are done in confluence if they do not need to be inside the JIRA tool on a daily basis.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events