The default display of my side panel navigation is not consistent

Marissa Armstrong May 12, 2022

Hi Team,

I am looking for assistance in resolving a display issue for my Confluence space. The side panel of my space is not displaying all public pages as a default. I can only have all pages displayed when accessing specific pages/shortcuts and refreshing my current view. Please see the attached imagery of the incorrect display (image 1) and the one desired (image 2). 

I am looking to have my space home page "MxS 101: About Us" + nested pages display all the time, along with the second major section called "Teams in Merchant Services". The first image is what the side panel looks like as the current common default, which is the error. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 11.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-12 at 11.45.40 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

Hi @Marissa Armstrong 

When you set the homepage to "MxS 101: About Us", then on the left navigation side only the subpages will be displayed. This is the desired behaviour. 

If you want to display both, you need a parent page for "MxS 101: About Us" and the other ones and make this parent page the homepage.

Regards, Dominic

Marissa Armstrong May 13, 2022

Hi @Dominic Lagger 

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Would it be possible to set the "MxS 101: About Us" as the parent page?

This page would like to be the space landing page (home page) and have all other pages nested under it (parent page), except for the pages within the "Teams in Merchant Services" section. 

Best,

Marissa

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2022

Hi @Marissa Armstrong 

Of course this is possible. Look here

Regards, Dominic

Marissa Armstrong May 16, 2022

Hey, @Dominic Lagger, I am having a separate issue with the same now, and I am wondering if you could advise? 

I am wondering if the following are possible for resolution: 

1. Can I remove a currently set page from being the space homepage without setting a new one in its place? 

2. Would a workaround solution of cloning our current homepage 'MxS 101: About Us" and making that a parent of the original "MxS 101: About Us" fix the issue? Or potentially setting the clone as the new space homepage? 

• Can you convert a homepage to a parent page? 

3. Is it possible to adjust the space ordinance without giving the current homepage "MxS 101: About Us" a parent page? 

• I don't have an option to give it a new parent page/move? (See image)

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 12.22.34 PM.png

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2022

Hey @Marissa Armstrong 

I'm sorry, but I do not understand the problem.

I try to explain in general: 

• There are two terms
    • Site homepage -> This is the default homepage when you enter a space
    • parent page --> This is the page above some other page
    • The site homepage is the most parent page of all other pages. Every page besides this site homepage will not be shown in the page tree on the left

I do not know, if you can blank your site homepage. I would not recommend it. 

The fact, that you can't move pages is strange indeed. Can you select another space, does it show any pages on other space? 

Regards, Dominic

Marissa Armstrong May 17, 2022

Thank you for the clarification on the terms, however, I am experiencing a different issue.
We archived our existing parent page which had multiple child pages. We were able to keep the child pages, however, they aren't displaying properly in the sidebar. Our current Homepage "MxS 101: About Us" should now become the parent and homepage. However, it's only showing as a homepage and won't allow us to move the other child pages (not showing in the sidebar currently) under it. Here is what I would like to accomplish and where I need your guidance.
1. I'd like to convert our Homepage into a parent page (How do I accomplish this?)
2. I'd like to move the child pages not visible in the sidebar under the new parent page (How do I accomplish this since the move function is not working in this instance?)
3. If I can't do 1 & 2 what options do I have to ensure all pages are displayed properly in the sidebar? Ex: Duplicate the current homepage and make it so it's not visible.

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2022

Hi @Marissa Armstrong 

The info with archiving you pages is important. Then here is described: 

Archiving a page removes it from your page tree and stores it in the archive. Archived content is excluded from quick search and analytics to keep those functions focused and relevant.

So, I would assume, that you do not see the pages and can't move them, because they are under an archived page. 

I'm not 100% sure, because I personally don't use archived pages. But I think best would be, to revert the archive and do all the changes and then archive the page again.

And again: You can not define a page as a parent page. A parent page ist just called parent page, when this page has any "childern" (sub pages). And the only way to have children page is to create new pages under this parent page or move to this page.

Hope this helps

Marissa Armstrong May 23, 2022

@Dominic Lagger Thank you for your help here. This issue has been resolved 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.12.14 AM.png

Like Dominic Lagger likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders