cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text following page excerpt is not a separate paragraph

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2019

This has bugged me several times now: I frequently add a page excerpt macro, containing some lines or paragraphs of text, followed by another paragraph of text - outside the excerpt macro body. During edit mode, both elements appear as two separate paragraphs/blocks.

However, when (pre)viewing the content, the excerpt content and following paragraph are just concatenated as illustrated below (see how there is not even any space after the "." as highlighted in red):

confluence-excerpt-issue.png

Is this a defect? Is there a way to have the paragraph following the excerpt block be displayed as a separate paragraph?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2019

Hello M.S.,

Happy to help you with this. 

From your example, it appears that you haven't started a new paragraph below your excerpt macro, causing your browser to read it as an inline macro.

Here's my example:

2019-10-07 13.59.14.gif

In order to add a new paragraph below your macro, the following steps will ensure you've added enough spacing between the two so that they display as separate blocks.

1. Insert your Excerpt Macro.
  2. Type some text into the Excerpt Macro.
  3. Hit your right arrow key, and it'll place the cursor immediately after the macro.
  4. Hit ENTER/RETURN on your keyboard.
  5. Type the text below the macro.

You can see that when I hit the back key after creating a new paragraph, it removes the first line and there's less space between the macro and the new paragraph. This will display as a single inline paragraph.

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2019

While this approach appears to result in the correct rendering, I still suspect that there is an error below this. 

Looking at the storage format, your approach results in 

<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="1806ae63-dc22-4c44-a756-fbdf43724ffd" ac:name="excerpt" ac:schema-version="1">
</ac:structured-macro>
<p>
<br/>
</p>
<p>Cum sociis natoque penatibus...

So there is an additional <p><br/></p>, while in reality, the following text is already wrapped in <p> and should therefore display as its own paragraph.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2019

Hello M.S.

To be clear, you used my recommendation, received the results in the above storage format, and the Latin text below the additional <p><br/></p> does not appear in its own paragraph? Could you show me how it looks on your page when you used my approach? 

Secondly, can you show me what the source looks like when you originally inserted the macro? 

Could you let me know the steps you took for it to look like that?

Regards,

Shannon

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2019

No, I did follow you recommendation, the (blind, not latin) text below the additional <p><br/></p> does display in its own paragraph. That part is ok.

However, looking at the storage format, it bugs me that the "separator" <p><br/></p> is needed to achieve the desired result, as the following text is already wrapped in <p>...</p> -- shouldn't this result in the text being displayed in its own paragraph, even without the preceding "separator"?

Actually, when I manually change the excerpt's atlassian-macro-output-type to BLOCK (instead of INLINE) in the storage format, then it seems do display fine as well, even without the separator. However, this option does not seem to be available from the UI.

Bottom line: your way does result in the correct display, however it seems more than what the storage format would suggest.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events