Templates - Principles and problematics

Fabien Lorc_h January 7, 2021

Hello

I started using Confluence. This may quite fit my needs, but there is one thing I don't understand at all. How models work and are managed. Especially on several points that do not seem optimal to me:
- A model is not a master or layout. So if I change a model of the page from which it was made is not changed. Not at all convenient, if you want to change a large number of pages in this format.
- A model cannot be copied or duplicated. When you choose to create several similar models, you are forced to recreate each model manually at the risk of making mistakes.
- You can't load images onto a model like you do on a classic page. It is therefore impossible to insert an image into a model without going through 40 external manipulations. A storage page or other space in which you downloaded the images.

The problem is that the use of models would greatly simplify my use of Confluence and that in the end this is not quite the case. I wonder even if as it stands are really models or patterns.

Kind Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Confluence uses templates, not what you are describing as a "model". 

The word "template" was chosen because it's got a very clear and specific meaning in English - it's a pattern that you use to shape a new object, which can then be changed to a different shape with no reference to the template.  It is not a shaping of a collection of related objects, a template has nothing to do with the objects it has been used to create after they've been created.

On this point I can understand but in this case model systems are possible in the future in Confluence?

And on the various other points I'm talking about. Not being able to copy/paste templates, not being able to simply use the photos in a template ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

No, there are no plans to create a model system in Confluence that I can find.  It's possible, certainly, but it's a big task, and Atlassian do not seem to have any inclination to do it.

I've had no problems copying and pasting templates, so I'm a little lost on where there is a problem, unless you mean the lack of a "copy" function for them.  I don't really see the need for a copy - I tend to find that offering someone more than a handful of templates just confuses them and they default to choosing a bad one, so I don't believe in making "copy" a lot easier.  A template should be guiding them down the right path, you don't want a template for every single possible thing they might want to create.

There's a general trick to re-using photos and other common materials - in a space, create a top-level page with all the attachments you want to share (you can also create pages beneath it for excerpts or common includes).  Your templates can then refer to those shared materials rather than include their own copy every time.  This also helps you with an element of making a "model" - you only have to change attachments/excerpts/includes in one place, and it will appear on all the pages (that the authors haven't changed away from the template)

In fact, I wanted to use the template copy to compensate for the lack of model. In particular, to limit the impact of a template change.

In any case, I maintain that I have not found a way to duplicate an initial model. If I want a second one I have to do it completely again.

To explain my use. It will be mostly that of a documentary library. Where many sheets will be created on the same format by only a few people and a little more will be able to view them. The volume of the cards will reach 200 pages at the creation.

Anything that can simplify my production and standardization will therefore be clearly beneficial.

For the images it seems very laborious. Even though it is quite possible to load documents. I don't understand this differentiated treatment of images.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events