Team member competency tracking in Confluence - labels for table rows?

I'd like to track competencies of team members in Confluence.

Mainly this would mean that I'd like to have entries (in some form) for the team members where one can add competency labels for them, much like tagging (or even page labels in Confluence) works: I want to be able to search and filter on these labels and the labels should be re-usable (e.g. two team members knowing JavaScript should have the same "JavaScript" label).

How would you do this? The trivial approach would be to add every team member as a page where labels would be their competencies. This looks a bit heavy-handed and also I'd like to be able to see a list with all team members and their competencies (to have an overview, not to have to open their page individually, see: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/21633256).

Note that I'm using Confluence Cloud.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

We do this. And yes, we have a separate Bio for every engineer and they are all labeled accordingly.

Separate Bios gives us:

• Lists of engineers using the Content by Label macro
  • An interactive list using the Labels List macro where we can select a skill to get a list of engineers, then keep selecting skills to narrow the list down
  • A heatmap of skill labels using the Popular Labels macro
  • An autocompleting search field using the Livesearch macro
  • Tables of engineers with their basic information

The last one requires the Page properties macro on each Bio then the Page properties report macro on a summary page.

We label the Bios with: the primary and secondary general ability (e.g. networking, storage, etc.); the specific skills (e.g. cisco, wireless, emc, sql, etc.); and the area of the country they cover (so we can create lists by region). Some engineers have a dozen labels.

Yes, this took a bit of work, but it was mostly a one-time deal. And yes, all this works on Cloud.

Oh, and management loves it!

This is freaking brilliant, thank you!

awesome! great solution. Thanks

You say your bios include general abilities and specific skills. How do you manipulate the labels to designate which is which? 

We don't distinguish between the two really, it's just all labels. We do have a few prefixed labels, like roles (e.g. software engineer, office manager) are prefixed with "role-".

I suspected there might be a prefix involved. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,127 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you