Team Calendars plugin upgrade mentioned in Confluence workbox notification?

Thomas Wendel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

On the test-system I just noticed the notification "Team Calendars has been upgraded - Try it now!" in my workbox?

• Does this happen for other plugins as well? So far I haven't noticed any notifications from other plugins, but are there others that notify users through the workbox?
  • How can install and upgrade notifications from plugins be disabled? Although I think the feature is pretty cool, in a work environment a lot of users don't care whether a plugin has been updated. It just makes it hard to convince users to start using their workbox as a a every-day tool when they consider the messages in it as spam.

Thanks,
Thomas

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2013

"Does this happen for other plugins as well?"

- No it doesn't. It's up to each plugin developer to do so using the Wokrbox API. To date, the only Atlassian tool which uses this is Team Calendars.

"How can install and upgrade notifications from plugins be disabled? "

They can't. We deliberatly did this because we had constant requests form admins who upgrade add-ons and their users have no idea that anything has changed. The result is more difficult change mangement, because they load the new feature and are confused or want to know what changed. So we did this for that.

For Team Calendars, we don't use this every time we upgrade. We only use the WorkBox notification if we feel the change is significant enough it would help users transition.

Thomas Wendel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

I can imagine that some users, probably mainly power users, find it really nice to get information about new features in Confluence. As I already mentioned, I think this is a nifty idea.

However, I believe that the majority of users, especially in larger non-IT companies, find such an update through the workbox rather annoying. They would find it similarly annoying if, for example their e-mail program would give them updates about new features. Those users just want the tool to work and not to bug them.

The administrator of one of our customers is actually thinking about turning the workbox of in order to prevent the Team Calendars update notification popping up in every bodies workbox. Most of their users don't even know about Team Calendars as only certain teams really use it.

How about a button in the plugin configuration with which administrators can trigger this notification if they really want to inform their users about new features in Team Calendars?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events