• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • Task assignee's can see assigned tasks, but cannot complete them via checkbox, even though they have edit permissions on the page containing the task?

Task assignee's can see assigned tasks, but cannot complete them via checkbox, even though they have edit permissions on the page containing the task?

In a group space, I have individual pages created for various team members which are used to assign tasks.  These users have view access to the top level space, but edit permissions on their respective task page.  They can see the tasks assigned to them in their tasks view, or task list macro, but cannot complete the task via the check box.  They receive a permissions error when attempting to do so.  Where am I going wrong?

5 answers

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 07, 2016

They need to have Edit Permissions to the space and if you're placing restrictions on pages then you need to be sure they are included as an editor in the restrictions as well. Can you verify they have access in both places?

Hi Steven, 

They do not have edit permissions to the space, just to the child page.  My hopes were that the top level space would be read only, and their individual tasks pages could be modified by each team member, but it looks like this is not the case.

Regards.

Sub-pages will inherit permissions of parent page, and can only be made more restrictive, and will not take precedence over the space permissions.

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

Sorry Wightman, but restrictions only restrict the already existing permissions.

0 vote

This is like saying, "You can't get security clearance for room 1A because you don't have clearance for ALL of the build's first floor".

That's absolutely correct. 

You can't get to room 1A without going through the first floor.

You don't need permission for every room though, only the one room.  Hallways are just thoroughfare.

If you can navigate TO the page you should be allowed to have permission to check your name off on a simple list.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

357 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you