cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • Task assignee's can see assigned tasks, but cannot complete them via checkbox, even though they have edit permissions on the page containing the task?

Task assignee's can see assigned tasks, but cannot complete them via checkbox, even though they have edit permissions on the page containing the task?

Wightman Admin June 7, 2016

In a group space, I have individual pages created for various team members which are used to assign tasks.  These users have view access to the top level space, but edit permissions on their respective task page.  They can see the tasks assigned to them in their tasks view, or task list macro, but cannot complete the task via the check box.  They receive a permissions error when attempting to do so.  Where am I going wrong?

7 answers

1 vote
StephanieC November 14, 2019

Here is what I suggest to folks in this dilemma: 

1. Create (or give permission to existing) the home page with open permission (view & edit) to everyone.

2. Create folders to house the things you dont want people to see or edit

3. Create a special folder with view & edit permissions OPEN, then restrict the pages inside it as you see fit. 

This way, no one knows about anything in the space that you dont want them to see - they just know the space exists with the pages you have given them permission to. This happens ALL THE TIME at my work.  

If there is stuff you want on the home page you dont want others to see, I believe you can use "Include page" macro and restrict the include page so the home page will look blank to restricted users. 

Nicolette-Davids November 14, 2019

Thanks @StephanieC

It did take a few efforts and think around's, finally I managed to get the desired results

• On space home page I reset the restrictions to edit&view all
  • In the minutes that contained the action I had set restrictions only to contributors to view (not edit), and kept contributors with actions assigned as set to view & edit
  • When all actions for certain minutes are closed reset the restriction to view

Not ideal, but manageable atleast

0 votes
StephanieC August 8, 2019

We had this issue as well but if you use the new macro in place of the "old" one.  On our version, 6.14.2, the "New" macro is called "Recently Changed"

0 votes
Jason Sapp January 4, 2018

This is like saying, "You can't get security clearance for room 1A because you don't have clearance for ALL of the build's first floor".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

That's absolutely correct. 

You can't get to room 1A without going through the first floor.

Jason Sapp January 5, 2018

You don't need permission for every room though, only the one room.  Hallways are just thoroughfare.

If you can navigate TO the page you should be allowed to have permission to check your name off on a simple list.

Like Marco Scheidegger likes this
Deleted user April 25, 2018

I came her for the same use case, someone needing to tick the box of tasks i've assigned to them, without them needing edit access to the whole space and me not wanting to give edit permissions on space level and than to have restrict about all pages accept for one :-(....

I've run into this limitation of the current authorisation architecture of Confluence many times :-(.

Like # people like this
Z He November 20, 2018

Come here with same request. But it is a pity that it is impossible. I really think tick the box of assigned tasks are different than page edit permission. 

Marco Scheidegger December 19, 2018

We have the same problem and would be gratefull if this could be changed. I don't repeat all the arguments already mentioned.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Sorry Wightman, but restrictions only restrict the already existing permissions.

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Sub-pages will inherit permissions of parent page, and can only be made more restrictive, and will not take precedence over the space permissions.

Deleted user December 19, 2018

That may be the case, but it's completely illogical in the real world.

There are many many many use case where we want to expose only one/few documents. Having to grant permissions to the entire space makes no sense.

Having to grant permissions to the entire space, and then manually lock down everything EXCPET THE DOCUMENT YOU ARE TRYING TO SHARE is way too much work.

This is a BUG. Fix it!

Like Marco Scheidegger likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2018

It's not a bug, it's the way it's designed, and Atlassian have no intention of changing the design.

You could try raising it as a change or improvement, but it's not a bug, and it's very unlikely to get very far.

Deleted user January 2, 2019

Then it's a design flaw.

Either way...

Nicolette-Davids November 14, 2019

If I (feeling like a little Bambi in Confluence at times) follow this logic. I would assume that when I:

• create a space
  • add restrictions that all can view and some users who have editing permission 

these restrictions & users should be same for all pages you add to this sub page. Regretfully this does not seem the case.

Am I really misunderstanding it all?

0 votes
Wightman Admin June 8, 2016

Hi Steven, 

They do not have edit permissions to the space, just to the child page.  My hopes were that the top level space would be read only, and their individual tasks pages could be modified by each team member, but it looks like this is not the case.

Regards.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2016

They need to have Edit Permissions to the space and if you're placing restrictions on pages then you need to be sure they are included as an editor in the restrictions as well. Can you verify they have access in both places?

Deleted user December 19, 2018

That is completely illogical.

This is a BUG!

Deleted user March 12, 2020

What constitutes "edit permissions" at the space level?  For example, is it enough to have "Delete Own" permission?  Must I have permission to "Add Pages"?  Must I have permission to "Delete Pages"?  What--exactly--are  the minimum set of permissions to a space that a user must have in order for that user to be able to check off an assigned task as having been completed?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events