Table view with new editor containing many collums

Darko Ojdanic October 15, 2020

Hi all,

I have a table with ~20 columns, used for short text entries. With the old editor, there was a scroll bar, so I could see and edit text clearly, and scroll to the right for few columns that didn’t fit to the view.

With the new editor, the table is always scaled to be seen completely. Which is very disturbing for big tables. Can this automatic scaling be turned off?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2020

Hello @Darko Ojdanic !

As I understand, side-scrolling (horizontal scroll bar) is not present on tables that contain a considerable amount of columns.

With this description in mind, I tried to replicate this behavior in both Narrow and Wide page views in Confluence New Editor (Fabric).

In both cases, I was unable to replicate.

Here is what I see:

Narrow Page View

Screen-Recording-2020-10-19-at-1(1).gif

Wide Page View

Screen-Recording-2020-10-19-at-1(2).gif

For both cases, I had to manually resize columns so the text would fit correctly within them or have more space than what is necessary.

What I noticed is that, by default, Confluence will try and resize table columns every time I change the Width for my Page (Narrow vs Wide).

By default, the width of the table is dynamically defined:

The width of each column is set to a percentage of the page width, so your columns will grow or shrink as your page size changes. Using the width switcher to the right of the layout, you can determine how much white space appears on either side of your layout. If a column includes an item that's too wide for it, you'll see a horizontal scroll bar when viewing the page.

You can check more details on tables for Confluence Cloud here:

Since I was unable to replicate the behavior you described (no horizontal scrollbar), please allow me to ask you a few questions:

1. What happens if you manually resize the table columns?
  2. What browser are you currently using?
  3. Is this affecting other users as well?

Let us hear from you!

Darko Ojdanic October 20, 2020

Thanks!

I made it now. I think the reason it didn’t work at first, was that (after reading the manual) I tried with one or two column, in wide page settings, but it only had a small resize effect. Once I saw your videos, I moved columns “a lot” and it worked.

One question thought: the right border of the last column cannot be moved! Is this correct behavior?

I tried with Google Chrome (86.0.4240.75) and Microsoft Edge (86.0.622.43).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events