Table of Contents in alphabetical order?

Yannik Pipek May 22, 2019

I want to get my Table of Contents sorted alphabetically and not by the default document order. Any way to do this?

4 answers

3 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

HI @Yannik Pipek ,

This is not possible in Confluence. Atlassian has had suggestions to add the functionality in the past but decided that it would not be added. 

-Scott

Yannik Pipek May 22, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its quite sad though as it would have saved me a ton of work and made navigation much more easy.

Like # people like this
Sharon Welensky January 24, 2022

So very much agree. What a shame.

Daniel G_ Sinclair April 15, 2022

I would like this as well. 

Clay Knight August 4, 2023

Optional Approach

I used the Table of Contents Macro. I then copied the results to an Excel Sheet, sorted the data, and copied / pasted back to the Confluence page as a Table. I then removed the Table of Contents Macro.

Yes, if I add or remove items, I have to repeat the process. Yet, if you are not changing the information that often, you at least have your table in sorted order.

0 votes
Chris Orgill January 26, 2024

+1 for this feature request

0 votes
Bonnie Ferrara September 9, 2022

I would love to see this feature in the Table of Contents as well.  For documentation purposes, it would be much easier to see the topic listed in alphabetical order, and then have the user click on the content and have Confluence take the user to the topic on the page.

0 votes
John Bent July 9, 2022

+1 for this feature request

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events