You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I have a large table on a page and recently added a Table Filter macro to help with filtering the data. It recently stopped appearing when the page was published. The entire table does not appear, but when i choose to edit the page, I can see the table and the table filter on the page. When I export the page to a pdf, the table appears as well. Why won't it show when viewing the published, read-only page? It recently started doing this.
Hi @Lauren Bertsch ,
We don't encounter similar issues with the app.
Do all the tables wrapped in the Table Filter macro have similar behavior?
Do you see any errors when the page is published? Something similar to "Can't get the macro details" or smth? It means that your table exceeds the 2 Mb that is a limitation for the new Cloud editor.
The issue seems to be with the filter macro. The table, when removed from the filter macro, seems fine. I did not see any errors when the page was published. I believe the filter macro was working yesterday. The issue seemed to have started today. It's odd, but when I click to edit the Table Filter macro, nothing appears except for a blank box below the name of the filter. To make sure it was not the table size causing the issue, I created a new, blank page and tried adding the table filter. The Macro opened as if it were going to allow me to apply settings and insert it, but it also was just blank. See attached. It seems to be a failure possibly with the Table Filter Macro.
Hi @Lauren Bertsch ,
It's a strange behavior indeed, please check if other macros provided by the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app have the same behavior. Try to insert, for example, the Pivot Table or Chart from Table macros.
Yesterday we released a new version of the app - maybe the add-on was updating for your instance. Then the macros won't be loading until a new version is fully installed.
If the issue persists today, please create a support request.
You may also open browser console (F12 for Chrome), go to the Network tab and then try to insert the macro. Maybe there will be any errors in the console - please attach the screenshot to the ticket, it will help our support team to investigate the issue.
I checked this morning and the Table Filter macro seems to now be working as do the other macros you suggested testing. I do find it odd that I could not insert the macro in the desired location on the page. The macro kept wanting to insert in the excerpt macro I had at the top of the page, regardless of where I placed the cursor and typed / to insert the macro. I had to insert the macro, then cut it from the excerpt where it kept inserting, and paste it in the location of the page where it was needed. Odd behavior but I'm more happy the Table Filter macro is back working!
Hi @Lauren Bertsch ,
It is a strange behavior indeed - it's understandable why the macro can't be inserted inside the Excerpt macro: Confluence Cloud doesn't allow macro nesting. But it's not clear why the macro is always wants to be placed inside the Excerpt.
Maybe the page is rather overloaded for Cloud - sometimes we also have issues where it's rather hard to place the cursor between two objects (not text, but tables or macros).
I'm glad though that in general the macros are working as they are supposed. Thank you for the update!
The issue was fixed on Aug 25, 2022.
If you encounter smth similar with the app now, please refer to our support.
Attach your page storage format (upper right corner -> menu ... -> View storage format) and the HAR file from your browser console recorded while inserting the macro. We'll investigate the issue.