System Error on Startup caused by StackOverflowError

Michael Thompson January 14, 2020

Hello everyone!

I've installed Confluence on a CentOS server on top of SQL Server. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to start due to a StackOverflowError. Just wondering if anyone encountered this type of issue before and if anyone knows a solution? The specific error is below:

Cause

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'i18NBean' defined in class path resource [setupContext.xml]: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.atlassian.confluence.util.i18n.I18NBean]: Factory method 'getI18NBean' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:599)

caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.atlassian.confluence.util.i18n.I18NBean]: Factory method 'getI18NBean' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.SimpleInstantiationStrategy.instantiate(SimpleInstantiationStrategy.java:189)

caused by: java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at sun.util.locale.LocaleObjectCache.get(LocaleObjectCache.java:55)

Thanks a bunch all!
Michael

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Sorry to hear you're running into issues starting Confluence! I haven't run into this specific error myself, but I found another Community post of someone else getting a similar "I18NBean" error. The post and answers run through some troubleshooting steps that may help:

Installation/Configuration Issue Confluence - Installing on Windows using SQL Server

Michael Thompson January 16, 2020

Thanks for the help! The issue, as pointed out in the issue Zak linked, seems to have been permissions for the user created in SQL Server. I recreated the user and made sure it had permissions to the confluence database, then deleted the confluence home directory to restart the setup wizard (following the procedure here). Setup completed successfully this time and Confluence is now operating normally!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Like Zak Laughton likes this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

Awesome! Glad I could help, and thanks a lot for sharing your solution!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events