System Admin permissions removed accidentally

Paul Mata January 15, 2021

Changing our server over to use LDAP authentication for Windows AD management of users and groups and made a mistake when changing group permissions. Previous config was using the Jira Directory to manage users/groups. Got LDAP setup and working, added users to the appropriate groups, and deactivated the Jira Directory.

Had a user report that they were not able to login and realized that I forgot to update the global permissions to allow access for the new groups. While there, I decided to also remove the old groups and add the new groups for admins. What I didn't realize is that unchecking the old group before adding the new group would lock me out.

I didn't save after removing the old group, I just unchecked the boxes for that group, then searched for the new group and when I clicked "Add" I got the error saying I didn't have permission.

Is there a way to fix this? I have a local admin account, but I can't find my password (I don't need to be chastised for that...I know how stupid I am for not putting that in my password manager).

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

You can use the method described in this KB to gain the sysadmin access. Note that you will have to restart application twice: once after you add the parameter and second time to remove it and disable recovery mode. 

Additionally, if you have database credentials or plugin which allows DB access from the application directly, you can fix this making changes to the database directly. You will just need then to flush caches and application will pick up changes in the DB.

Looks like this was what I needed. I actually found the article right after I posted the question, but since you also provided the article, I'm marking your answer as accepted.

1 vote
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Paul Mata ,

me also done the same in my stage instance.

Please check the below link. it's much helped on that time 

Restore Passwords To Recover Admin User Rights 

Even though your answer was for Jira instead of Confluence, it is still the same basic process to get me where I needed to be.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events