Syntaxes instead of menus in Confluence 8.2.3

Geraldo Barros May 21, 2023

After the last update some of these Syntaxes are appearing everywhere in Confluence.  This makes all subpages inaccessible.

Confluence Atlassian 8.2.3

Instance: confluence.casahacker.org.

Screenshot_20230517-104049.png

Screenshot_20230517-104024.png

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

These code snippets look like Velocity not being rendered. 

I know this is going to sound very accusatory, which is absolutely not my intention, but I still have to ask - what have you customised on this server that might be breaking Velocity? 

It may well be a bug, but my 8.2.3 system is working fine, so I'm not sure that it's going to be in the core code.  When you upgraded, what files did the installer tell you might be different?

Geraldo Barros May 23, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I've updated the Apps & restarted the server and then it just fixed.

There is no one customization, luckily that got it working again, but I don't know exactly what might have fixed it.

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2023

In addition to what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  and @Aron Gombas _Midori_ pointed out, this may also result due to a third-party app encountering some difficulties with JS modules. There have been a couple of changes since version 8 of Confluence and you may need to also update these apps. 

If you cannot find anything in the server logs, you may have a look at the browser console for some hints what goes wrong ...

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2023

As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- pointed out, Velocity can't render the templates in your instance.

The first you should check is your Confluence logs. It must be full of exception stack traces, look the very first one, that should tell more about the root cause.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events