Support for SQL Server 2008 R2?

Patrik Thunström January 7, 2016

The end of support announcement does not mention SQL Server 2008 R2, only the original SQL Server 2008.

Seeing as the supported platforms document does not mention SQL Server 2008 R2 either, the support fort this feels a bit up in limbo...

Was SQL Server 2008 R2 intended to be included in the end of support announcement, or is it still one of the supported databases?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

It's all versions of SQL Server 2008.

Patrik Thunström January 7, 2016

Sorry, had a quick confused reply where I for some reason believed you were an Atlassian employee... From a DB admin point of view you should really not group 2008 and 2008 R2 together, as they're two separate versions with roughly 2-3 years in between releases...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

That's either Microsoft being silly with names, or if they're not, then the perception that they're separate versions is incorrect. If they really were two separate versions, they should be named independently. As it is, they're actually similar enough that the R2 doesn't matter. 99% of users will see "MS SQL 2008" as a single item, and that's what the documentation assumes as well. In my experience with both of them, the R2 simply doesn't matter as far as Atlassian products use them. But that's just me ;-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events