Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested best practices for working with Team Calendar?

Johan Lund May 11, 2014

So, we're testing Team Calendars and I'm trying to figure out what the optimal workflow it was designed to support. I have a number of roles that it needs to support but I don't really know where to start.

Team Leader:
The TL has to keep track of all people and multiple projects on his team. Sales people and project managers go to the TL to ask if and when they can get resources. The TL needs a birds eye view. Currently TL's use Excel for this.

Project Manager:
The PM lives in JIRA and Excel at the moment. He plans releases and figures out what resources are needed for what issues and follows up on progress. A PM needs to be able to figure out things like when people are available or not "how many days are free on this person to allocate", "are we breaking the budget on this issue" etc.

Developers:
The developer needs to know what are expected of them and when. The Developer should be able to map out when he's on vacation etc.

Some questions that popup include:
1. Should we have a personal calendar for each developer?
2. How do we work with releases (we don't have JIRA Agile) are they at all useful except just displaying a desired release date? Usually there are many other important dates in relation to a release date such as internal testing start/end, customer Site Acceptance Test etc.
3. We have never used JIRA for setting dates/estimates on issues before. What if we don't want to communicate this information to our customers (who collaborate with us inside JIRA).
4. If we try to do project planning with JIRA/TC, how do you work with desired plan vs actual plan? What happens when a planned issue takes 3 times as much time?

I guess what I'm really asking is, how do you work with Team Calendars?

1 answer

0 votes
Ron Summers July 23, 2014

Johan, those are great questions. I'm surprised no one has responded yet, especially from Atlassian. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers, I just have the same questions. Like you we just started looking at and testing out TC so we have a lot of questions as well.

IMHO, the documenation for TC seems to be very sparse and incomplete.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events