Sub-task Saving in another column

Candice Merrill February 22, 2024

When I create a sub-task with a parent issue the sub-task saves in another column where unidentified issues would go.

Is there a way to have it stay with and follow the parent issue without auto saving in another column.

Basically, my sub-tasks are getting mixed up with my unidentified parent uses.

Can I get around this?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Sub-tasks do not have to be locked to the same status their parent is in (in fact, they'd be useless to most of us if they were)

Sub-tasks have their own workflow (which may or may not be the same as the parent issue of which they are a fragment), so they can be in different status, and hence column, to their parent.

Imagine a simple example:

• Parent is in-progress
  • sub-task 1 has not been looked at, so it's "to do"
  • sub-task 2 has been started on, so it's "in progress"
  • sub-task 3 is complete, so it's "done"

That's 4 issues in three columns...

That explains why each sub-task is place in a different column. Thank you for your comment..

Like Humashankar VJ likes this
1 vote
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

Hi - I hope that you are Doing good !!

It is for sure a unique case

sub-tasks should automatically inside the parent issue's, including its column or status. and in your use case it is called linked to different parent

If sub-tasks are not being correctly linked to their parent issues, it may indicate a configuration issue

Review the workflow configuration for your project
Kindly share a snapshot of the issue and sub task if you wish

Happy to help further !!

Hope this helps

Thank you very much and have a fantastic day!
Warm regards

Yes, it is most likely set up that way for the project.

I am not the owner of the project so I will have to request that change from the project owner.

Like Humashankar VJ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events