Style suggestions for including iFrame on Confluence page?

Robert Werner December 15, 2017

I've been tasked with building an internal knowledge base (KB) - think "RunBook" - AND customer-facing KB articles.

I don't believe in having multiple copies of the same document since one will undoubtedly get out of date and then there's the constant struggle to figure out which one to consult.

Enter iFrames.  It occurred to me that the primary version of a KB article can reside in the customer facing KB.  Then in the internal KB, an iFrame can be added to link to it.  I've tested this and a Width of 100% and a Height of 300px seems to work well.

But I'm struggling with how best to provide a link to the actual page in case me or one of my colleagues wants to look at the document in something other than a 300 pixel tall window.

What approach have you used that you like?

Robert

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

Hi Robert!

Excellent thinking in maintaining only one copy of the material. Fortunately Confluence allows you to do this without using iFrames at all! Check out the Excerpt macro (for the source material) and the Excerpt Include macro (for the customer facing pages / non-master pages).

If you need to "export" more than one excerpt per source page, check out the Multi Excerpt plugin.

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Werner December 18, 2017

Thank you for this, Daniel.

I just tested out the Excerpt / Excerpt Include pairing.  I see how it works and might have applicability in the future.  However, in my case right now, I'm including 4+ "source" pages into one aggregation page.  The Excerpt doesn't have a "click here to go to source page" option so iFrames work better for me for now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events