Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with Excerpt Include Macro

Amy Blakemore November 30, 2022

Hi! I'm trying to use the Except Include Macro to mirror a section of content from one Confluence page onto another, and having some issues. I know I first have to set up an Excerpt Include (see below), but I saw in the online instructions to copy and paste my content into the Excerpt Include. This means that when the content on the page itself is updated, the updated not flow into the new page where I want to insert the Excerpt Include Macro. There is probably something obvious that I am doing wrong, but I am stuck! How can I set up an Except Include so any updates to the section flow automatically to where I embed the macro? 

Screenshot 2022-11-30 115520.png

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, that's not quite how to use it.

The way to use this is to do things like the "server summary" I used in my last place a lot:

Page 1: 

Server XYZ-42-9b
Some content about hardware 
{excerpt}. a bit about what it is running {excerpt}
Some content about location and support

Page 2: 

Server ABC-123

Page 3: 

Server XYZ-1

Page 4:

some services and server info
{excerpt-include: Server XYZ-42-9b}
{excerpt-include: Server ABC-123}
{excerpt-include: Server XYZ-1}

Whenever I change the text inside any of the {excerpt}{excerpt} blocks, the next time page 4 is rendered or refreshed, the text in the three include blocks will be refreshed with the data in the source pages.

0 votes
Leila Paul July 13, 2023

Hi,

I am having problems with the table of contents AFTER adding the new page with the excerpt include macro. The content from the other page won't appear. The headers will be hidden from the table of contents. May you please help me out here?

Thank you!!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2023

Hello @Leila Paul 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please start a new Question for your request and provide all the relevant information about your environment. It will also be helpful if you can provide screen images of both pages.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

@Amy Blakemore 

Welcome to the community.

Just curious, can you provide a link to the online instructions from which you were getting that info?

Amy Blakemore December 9, 2022

I was looking here! https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-excerpt-macro/

It just says "Add your content inside the Excerpt macro placeholder in the page. Most of the formatting options can be used, and elements in the toolbar can be inserted into the macro." It doesn't really specify HOW to add the content, so I am clearly doing something wrong. I guess I need to put {excerpt} around the content I need on the page itself? I wish there was a quick video...

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Lots of people, and Atlassian team members, create videos for how to do things and post them on YouTube. I found this one about Excerpt/Excerpt Include macros, though it looks like it may be for Confluence Server, or an older version of Confluence Cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUWkxXQKO9o

Hopefully these steps below will help you.

On the page that has the content you want to mirror, while editing the page, you insert the Excerpt macro.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.02.32 PM.png

After selecting the macro it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.06.34 PM.png

Then you put your content within the boundaries of the Excerpt macro.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.03.01 PM.png

If you already have the content in your page, you can select that content, cut it, and paste it within the boundaries of the macro.

Then you give the Excerpt macro a name. This is in a pane displaying on the right side of the page.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.03.21 PM.png

Save the page. The Excerpt does show anything special when viewing the page.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.16.50 PM.png

Next, in the page where you want to mirror that content, edit the page and add the Excerpt Include macro.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.09.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.09.57 PM.png

Fill in the page where you put the Excerpt macro.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.10.15 PM.png

Fill in the name you gave the Excerpt macro

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.10.58 PM.png

Click the preview button to make sure you got the Excerpt Name right. If you did it will show you the Excerpt macro.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.11.11 PM.png

Save the Excerpt Include macro configuration. It will display like this when you are still Editing the page.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.11.21 PM.png

Then save the page and it displays like this:

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 6.15.39 PM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events