Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure and scalability

Tim Milner January 4, 2012

We are in the process of designing a Confluence space for one of our projects teams - it will include some form of workflow, with template triggers, and then allowance for users to upload documents where they need to. We are considering two options with regards to structure, and I wondered if anyone could advise on which is more advisable.

1. Have one page with all of one type of document on - so potentially thousands of design documents attached to a page called eg. Design Documents; or

2. One page per document, which would mean we may have 25,000 pages within a space.

Any advice on the potential implications of both options in terms of space allowance etc.? Is there, for example, a limit to how many attachments you can put on one page? And also, a limit to how many pages you can have within one space, assuming each page has one attachment?

Essentially, how scaleable is each of those options? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks as usual in advance.

Tim

1 answer

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2012

Hi Tim -

There's of course many ways to do this -

I think you are mixing use cases/needs here - that of wiki as an unstructured doc repository, and a document management system, for lets call it "structured docs" (or physical docs, like PDFs, Word docs, Excel, etc.. your "design documents").

Yet fully understand why you want to mix them, so addressing scaling concerns - and process and UX - are indeed key. But in short - 25K+ docs is alot.

May I propose that you use a connector application to a physical doc repo. With that, you have a number of options in terms of embedded lists, embedded docs (for visibility), and quick launch on the fly editing, etc.

AppFusions offers integrations for these purposes with Box, Google Docs, and Alfresco. Check our Youtube channel or website for a brief intro. If you email me, I can share some future roadmap efforts underway as well (and you can try with an eval license).

Federated search is another consideration - since I presume you want searchability between all your docs and wiki.

Best,

Ellen

ellen@appfusions.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events