Sticky Table Headings with Merged Cells

richardofrugeley August 20, 2019

I have a page containing a 14-column, multi-row table that does not exhibit the 'sticky headings' behaviour. The page has no section formatting. The columns are characterised as follows:

• long headings include paragraph formatting.
  • body content forces a scroll bar on a standard width monitor.

However, neither of these issues affects the sticky behaviour.

With a bit of trial and error I discovered that when a cell is merged with the cell above, the sticky behaviour stops. Is this a known limitation?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2019

Hello @richardofrugeley,

Thank you for reporting this.

I was able to find a bug that has been reported for this issue:

Please click This affects my team and you will be automatically added to the list of watchers and receive any updates going forward.

At this time, I am not aware of a workaround to use sticky headings after cells have been merged.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Regards,

Shannon

Patrick O_Connell August 27, 2019

EDIT: Can see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-23408. I think this documents the improvements in table cell copying and pasting.

The problem with this is more extensive than is obvious, at first glance.

I had one of these, and finally figured out that it was the merged cells causing the non-scrolling.

But...

Even having inserted fresh rows above the problem ones in the table, thrown some token text into those cells, de-designating the original heading rows as such, and designating the new heading rows as such, the heading row doesn't stay on-screen when the table is scrolled.

So it's as if the original table is somehow contaminated by it ever having contained merged cells.

I was able to get this working in our stage of 6.15.4 by creating a new table, no merged cells, and mass copying and pasting table cells. But that mass copying and pasting doesn't work in our current version of 6.9.0, and I soon remembered that it never has.

*lengthy exasperated sigh*

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events