It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sticky Table Headings with Merged Cells

I have a page containing a 14-column, multi-row table that does not exhibit the 'sticky headings' behaviour. The page has no section formatting. The columns are characterised as follows:

• long headings include paragraph formatting.
  • body content forces a scroll bar on a standard width monitor.

However, neither of these issues affects the sticky behaviour.

With a bit of trial and error I discovered that when a cell is merged with the cell above, the sticky behaviour stops. Is this a known limitation?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @richardofrugeley,

Thank you for reporting this.

I was able to find a bug that has been reported for this issue:

Please click This affects my team and you will be automatically added to the list of watchers and receive any updates going forward.

At this time, I am not aware of a workaround to use sticky headings after cells have been merged.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Regards,

Shannon

EDIT: Can see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-23408. I think this documents the improvements in table cell copying and pasting.

The problem with this is more extensive than is obvious, at first glance.

I had one of these, and finally figured out that it was the merged cells causing the non-scrolling.

But...

Even having inserted fresh rows above the problem ones in the table, thrown some token text into those cells, de-designating the original heading rows as such, and designating the new heading rows as such, the heading row doesn't stay on-screen when the table is scrolled.

So it's as if the original table is somehow contaminated by it ever having contained merged cells.

I was able to get this working in our stage of 6.15.4 by creating a new table, no merged cells, and mass copying and pasting table cells. But that mass copying and pasting doesn't work in our current version of 6.9.0, and I soon remembered that it never has.

*lengthy exasperated sigh*

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

109 views 3 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you