Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard browser shortcuts blocked by Confluence?

tdvanyo January 9, 2020

I'm running macOS 10.14.6 and no matter what browser I use (Firefox, Edge (Beta), Chrome, and Safari), Confluence pages seem to block the standard "open location" (⌘L) and "hide" (⌘H) keystrokes.

I've searched through the community pages and cannot find much that would be helpful.

With the same browser window open I can create a new tab (that keystroke seems to work) and from there I can use the ⌘L or ⌘H keystrokes.

If it's pilot error, I'm willing to learn my the error of my ways. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hi Tdvanyo!

I understand you're running into issues using keyboard shortcuts when focused on a browser window that has Confluence open. By default, ⌘ + H is a Mac shortcut that should hide the active window (Mac keyboard shortcuts), and ⌘ + L should put your cursor in the address bar (at least in Chrome and Firefox). Let us know if you're trying to accomplish something different with these shortcuts.

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior on Confluence server, which leads me to believe there may be something else going on here blocking the shortcuts.

Here are some ideas for testing and narrowing down the issue:

• You mentioned you cannot use the shortcuts on Confluence, but you can use them on a new tab. Are you able to use them on other websites?
  • To rule out any third-party plugins: Does this issue still happen when Confluence is running in Safe Mode? (Note: this will require restarting Confluence, and is best to try in a test instance if possible)
tdvanyo January 15, 2020

Thanks, Zak. I have since discovered that it does seem to depend on some plugin of the specific confluence page I’m on. Operating in a corporate environment with on-premise servers, but there are other spaces where the shortcuts are working as expected. 

I’ve not had time to try to figure out which plugin may be doing it. To be honest, not sure how to figure out all the plugins that are enabled for different spaces. 

I think this Is as far as I can take it for now. 

Like Zak Laughton likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events