Spring Application context has not been set

Moritz Müller January 12, 2018

I have installed confluence as a free trial on my debian 9 server. Everything was working, but I didn't finished the configuration part. I have just installed it and it was reachable in the browser without errors. Then I tried to follow this guide to config confluence to run behind my apache:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/using-apache-with-mod_proxy-173669.html

Directly after that I followed this guide to also config SSL settings:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/securing-your-atlassian-applications-with-apache-using-ssl-838284349.html

But suddenly I'm getting the following error, when I open the site in my browser. Doesn't matter if I open the origin URL with the port or the new proxied URL. On both this error appears. And even if I undo all the customizations in the conf/server.xml and on my apache, the error still appears. Then I tried to to uninstall confluence, but the command "uninstall" can't be found. So I just rerun the installer, but I have still the same problem. Any idea how I can get it up and running again on the origin way (without apache) to try it again with apache?

Here is the error:

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.getTransactionManager(ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:28)
	at com.atlassian.xwork.interceptors.XWorkTransactionInterceptor.intercept(XWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:56)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.xwork.SetupIncompleteInterceptor.intercept(SetupIncompleteInterceptor.java:38)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.security.interceptors.SecurityHeadersInterceptor.intercept(SecurityHeadersInterceptor.java:39)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.SetupCheckInterceptor.intercept(SetupCheckInterceptor.java:27)
	at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionProxy.execute(DefaultActionProxy.java:115)
	at com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.ConfluenceServletDispatcher.serviceAction(ConfluenceServletDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.ServletDispatcher.service(ServletDispatcher.java:199)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)

EDIT: Btw, I have also installed Jira and there is everything working with apche and SSL.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2018

Hi Moritz,

If you're still having issues with this, I would recommend having a look at this article:

There are 10 separate causes listed there, so please review each one in your case and see which is affecting your instance.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Todor Yakimov March 15, 2019

Rather unhelpful answer from the support team. The person already said the SSL configuration they initialised was the culprit of the problem. Yet, you're sending them to a page that has 10 causes 10 of which are not related to the SSL configuration breaking Spring.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Todor,

According to the user, the issue appeared after configuring a proxy as well as configuring the SSL. Both of these changes can cause issues with invalid confluence.cfg.xml configuration, or with the server.xml file, which is outlined in the above document.

If you are working with an instance without any data, it may be best to perform step 10, or replace the server.xml file with a fresh copy from a new Confluence installation to confirm the issue is not with your configuration.

If you are having similar issues, please feel free to review the recommendations from the article I've linked, and if you're still not able to resolve the problem, you can raise a new question here. For that I would recommend including the lines from your Confluence Server logs regarding this Spring Application Context error. This will contain further information than is contained in the logs displayed in the Confluence UI.

Thank you for your understanding!

Shannon

Aaron Pavez March 21, 2019

Hi

i had the same problem installing confluence + jira under win10 VM in hyper v.

i deleted the confluence.cfg.xml in C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\Confluence

after that i accessed the wizard installation and i was able to configure confluence again.

this doesnt happen under linux.

regards

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2019

Aaron,

That sounds like a very interesting case, indeed! I would recommend raising this as a new question. The reason being is this error itself can occur in a multitude of reasons, and the fact that you're able to replicate it in Hyper V on Windows, it sounds like it may be a different cause.

Let me know if you have any trouble raising a new question!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events