Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space vs page permissions

Ola January 5, 2016

Does confluence always work in this way: you need to have access to top level space before getting access to a page embedded in this space?

I know it is a simple question but I am often asked by users "why can't I just simply grant a permission once on a page instead of doing it twice: on a space level and then (if more editing access) on a page level?"

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

Yes, you need space permissions first. 

Confluence checks those because you don't want someone opening up holes in your permissions by accident.  It's a bit of a nightmare when you're in charge of a restricted space and one of your users opens a chunk of it up to someone you have deliberately not allowed access for in the space settings.  Think of a simple example - I've got a space that deals with customer relations.  I limit access to the space to my internal users.  I absolutely need to be 100% certain that none of the customers can see it.  I don't want Janice in accounts going "oh I'll just share that page with the customer".  Even if she gets it right, I have no idea that the page is now visible to someone who should not see it.

9 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

Think of this way, you have to let someone into your house to let them use the bathroom.

0 votes
Mike Flannery May 25, 2016

The way our business uses confluence, we have a since shared confluence instance throughout the company. Each team, group and person can create a Space as needed. 

Our team wants to create a Wiki with both internal and external page permissions (in team vs not in team). Sounds like this is possible but requires a larger Space permission first. Is that something I,creator of the Space, can set? Or do I need our Confluence instance Admin to do this for me? As well as all the additions to the Space as needed?

Is there Documentation someone can point me in the direction of?

Thanks!

0 votes
Ola January 5, 2016

Thank you all for your valuable answers. I think now I have enough information to explain why confluence works in this way.

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

Confluence has space permissions and page restrictions.

Space permissions come first and define who is allowed to do anything at all. Page restrictions enable additional restrictions on a page basis for those who have the necessary space permissions.

So, you don't have to do it twice. Granting space permissions is enough to give users access.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events