It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sorting in Jira issue macro not working Edited

I have the following Jira issue macro in my Confluence page (Server 6.15.8 with Jira 8.2.4 with German as default language) using the custom field "MHü" as a column. The macro uses a Jira filter without "order by":

2020-04-16 11_23_01-Jira-Einbindung - Schulung und Test - (DEV).png

When sorting the column "MHü" I get the error "Jira project does not exist" and all columns lose their german translation:2020-04-16 11_23_48-Jira-Einbindung - Schulung und Test - (DEV).pngI can't find an error in the logs. Where could be the problem?

I already run this character coding test without a problem (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/troubleshooting-character-encodings-167194.html)

 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Apr 20, 2020

Hi Alexander,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  I understand that you have Jira connected to Confluence, but that when trying to show these Jira issues in Confluence with the Jira issue macro, that some accented characters are not displayed correctly, nor are the issues.

In this case, I don't believe the problem actually exists with Confluence's configuration.  In my view I think it would be a good idea to check the Jira Server configuration here.  Try following the KB Troubleshoot character display issues in Jira server.  It's possible that if Jira server is not configured to use UTF8 encoding in the Java JVM, that it could be defaulting to some other character encoding that might be default of that OS (I usually see ANSI for linux, and cp1252 for Windows servers). 

If that's the case, then usually the steps of

Start JIRA with the parameters -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 and -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8. See Setting properties and options on startup.

can help resolve this.  However if that doesn't help here, I'd try to follow the other troubleshooting steps in that KB.  It's possible that the characters in question might not be getting stored properly in the database that Jira is using, but I find it's better to check the JVM character encoding first.

Try this and let me know the results.

Andy

Hi Andy,

thank you for your help. The wrong encoding in Jira was the problem. I added the parameters to Jira and Confluence (which also used the wrong encoding) as you suggested.

Thanks a lot!

Alexander

Like Andy Heinzer likes this

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

2,115 views 4 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you