Sort headings automatically in a page

Rumceisz April 5, 2012

Hi All,

let me ask for a help: is there a wikimarkup or macro we can automatically sort the headings in a pge in Confluence? There is a page in our company where are important infos about applications are listed (more than 100). The content is continuinely gaining with new application infos.

But to find the correct place of an application name is very cumbersome. So it would be very helpful if we could add the new content to the end of the page and after save the new content jumps to its correct place in the alphabetically order.

Tanks for your suggestions!

Best Regards,

Rumi

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2012

Hi Rumi,

I can't think of a way of doing this in-page as a page is unstructured content, but if you had a separate page for each application you could assemble a single index page in alphabetical order by using the Content By Label Macro - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Content+by+Label+Macro

If you had a separate page for each application and made sure you labelled each page with a common label you could then have an index page with the Content By Label macro on it which had the parameter set to order by page title. Whenever you subsequently created a page for a new application it would automatically be inserted into the correct position in the alphabetised list.

Would that work for you?

Andrew.

Rumceisz April 5, 2012

Hi Andrew,

my page is not unstructured: it has 100+ 'h1' headings and I would like to sort the content according to the headings. E.g. I have headings ('h1' wiki markup):

h1. Gary

h1.Bill

h1.Andy

h1.Drew

and I would like to achieve:

h1.Andy

h1.Bill

h1.Drew

h1.Andy

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2012

Hi Rumi,

Sorry, when I said "unstructured" I meant it's not fields in database or columns in a table or spreadsheet and as such Confluence just sees it as one big block of text that it cannot sort.

As mentioned you could split it into separate pages where each heading it the title of a separate page and Confluence is then able to order by page title, or you could try splitting it into a table with each heading and its content as a separate row and wrapping it with the Table Plus Macro which you could then sort by column.

Does that help?

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events