Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone else edited a page I was editing, and I lost everything. Possible to retrieve?

rs January 11, 2021

I was editing a page.

My boss asked if he could read it, so I hit Publish (even though there was barely anything there at the time) and sent him a link.

Then I hit 'edit' again and continued on editing.

As I edited, I kept seeing the 'draft saved' things occasionally flash up in the bottom of the screen.

After 3 hours of editing, a message pops up in the top right: "<boss> has reverted to a previous version of this page."

Without me touching anything, my page refreshes itself, gets itself out of editor mode and drops me back to the last published page that I saved 3 hours ago. Page history only shows the first publish.

He said he edited something then decided against it and backed out of it. not sure what exact buttons he touched but his screen didn't show any of my draft work either (which I wouldn't expect it to, but my screen had also reverted to the one from the morning)

uh, is this expected behaviour?

Really?

Someone else can just delete everything on a page that I'm working on, while I'm working on it, and I don't get any say to stop it?

(even something as annoying as Word seems to get this right and doesn't let you edit when someone else is)

Is there any way at all to get back anything without repeating the last 3 hours of my life?

2 answers

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

I don't know what happened to my suggested answer; it disappeared.

If you have confluence admin rights look at the history for the page and the space.  What you described happened to me once and there were several factors involved: confluence settings, server lag, and if I remember right permissions on the page/space.

Check the trash bin for the page and the space. If the key strokes used by your boss inadvertently deleted the page then it should be in the bin for the space or at the system level; check the orphan pages too.

It might be necessary to search the confluence files for the system to retrieve the page if it is there.

rs January 11, 2021

It's hosted on an internal server here, we can't use cloud services where I'm from (I've just been reading about the change to cloud-only, so I presume that means we can't be customers in 4 years' time).

I'm not an admin, but my boss is.

I can't see a trash bin anywhere, is that a cloud-only or admin-only thing?

The page is still there physically, but it only has the first version I saved this morning, and the page history (that I can see) only shows the first version too.

Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

You will not be able to see because you do not have admin rights.

As Confluence admin your boss will be able to see it.

I do not have my confluence server instance where I can grab snap shots for you but here are the correct links for Confluence server in regard to pages and restoring pages etc.

image.pnghttps://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/delete-or-restore-a-page-139429.html

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Was it confluence server or cloud?  It dould have saved versions of the page.

I would check the trash bin for the space..have to have confluence admin rights.

Your scenario happened to me once and the culprits was network lag and incorrect settings to the best of my recollection.  Once you let me know the platform I will see if I have more of a solution for you.

I saw i think...you are on server...then the admins might see it their view. Might have to check the actual file not just what end user sees. I will check my notes see if have better solution. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events