Solution 3: Manually Clone Or Rename A Space

Divya Yathagiri Venkata December 20, 2017

We are basically want to rename a space along with the space key. I found the below link -

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-copy-or-rename-a-space-in-confluence-169578.html

Can the above steps be followed server based confluence application?

Both our JIRA and Confluence are hosted on different windows servers with JIRA version 7.3.7 and Confluence version 6.2. We have application links between JIRA and Confluence. 

2 answers

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

@Divya Yathagiri Venkata, You could also create you new space and key and move the pages to the new space. .pd

Whats the process to move pages from one space to the other? Can I copy pages instead of move? That way its safer.

Also our space is very huge with more than 400 pages. So can't do it manually rather I'll need a faster way.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Divya,

You can copy pages individually or a page and its children. See Copy a Page for more details. 

We'll see what Peter says as well but if you have 400 pages I would say cloning it is the faster way.

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Note: the above article also shows you how to copy all pages in a space, but if the space is particularly large, the space import workaround from earlier might avoid any issues.

Shannon

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

@Divya Yathagiri Venkata, Spaces that big can be problematic.  You will need to break it down in sections and move it that way.  This can be tedious depending on the structure of your space.  

If you're looking for a fast way, @Shannon S, suggestion will be better. 

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2017

Hi Divya,

The article can indeed be followed by Confluence Server instances. Essentially you will be exporting the space, renaming the space and the key in the XML, and re-importing it, causing a duplicate space with a new name.

As it hasn't been tested on linked instances, I would recommend testing this first on your test instances if you are concerned of running into any issues. What likely might be a problem is if you have linked the Confluence space to a Jira project you will want to reconnect the two since this is essentially a new space.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events