So whats wrong with the embedded database?

Sergei Cherevko January 19, 2018

Confluence is using the H2 embedded database. You should migrate to a supported database to ensure your data is safe.

i want to stay on embedded db, but confluence told me error something about healty db.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/embedded-h2-database-145098285.html

This article don't help me. What should i do for correct working on embedded database without difficult actions?

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Hi there,

the embedded database can fail any time, it's not as secure as MySQL. It's just a basic DB for testing purposes. When your Jira instance grows you'll experience performance problems as well.

I'd definitely suggest to use a separate, proper DB for production use and set up a backup solution for it.

I hope this help, let me know if you have any followup questions.

Sergei Cherevko January 19, 2018

Okay, thank you for the answer, how to migrate to another sql base? which is very simple solution?)

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Hi,

this should help you getting started: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-a-database-938846850.html

Ideally, it's perfectly fine to start with H2 and then move onto something more permanent.

Just as a last thought: your DB can be on a different machine but H2 is always in the Jira folder on the same hard drive.

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2018
Jenny Alvarez January 7, 2020

@Krisztian KovacsHi Krisz, I just want to add question about embedded DB. You mentioned that it is fine to start with H2. In case JIRA will only be used on a limited period of time, do you have idea if H2 database can hold around 2000 tickets/QA? What is the maximum capacity for the bundled DB?

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Since you appear to have a starter license I am assuming your instance is not huge. All you need to do is install the same version of Confluence, using an external database, and then import an XML site backup from your instance that is currently using the H2 evaluation database. @Sergei Cherevko Please see Migrating to Another Database for more Confluence db details.

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2018

hi @Sergei Cherevko,

To answer your question: you can definitely contact Atlassian. It's part of the service.

However, first I would check if there is a network issue (port closed maybe) because Synchrony is quite sensitive to network issues. 

There is a whole page at Atlassian, dedicated to this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/collaborative-editing-and-synchrony-troubleshooting-858584399.html

If you have strict network policies, you might have to disable collaborative editing altogether. It wouldn't be ideal though, as collaboration is a big selling point.

I hope this all makes sense, not just to me.

Cheers,
Krisz

0 votes
Sergei Cherevko January 24, 2018

изображение.pngизображение.png

0 votes
Sergei Cherevko January 23, 2018

I created another database on Microsoft SQL Server. I connect to this server with domain windows account. (I add the linux computer to AD) I use connection string : jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://XXX:1433/confluence;domain=XXX

Test passed succesfull and it's freeze. What i do wrong? Empty page :((( please helpизображение.png

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Hi Sergei,

• can you connect connect to the DB manually?
  • have you tried restarting confluence?

These are the first things that come to mind.

Alternatively, what do the Atlassian logs say? Any errors?

Sergei Cherevko January 23, 2018

Where I find logs? I do default install to Linux machine (ubuntu server) in home directory?

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

I hope this helps:

If you are on Linux or Solaris

• ..then the logs are in logs/catalina.out in your JIRA Installation Directory, or for JIRA WAR, under your Tomcat installation directory.

Taken from here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira063/where-are-the-application-server-logs-683542381.html

There should be some sort of error in cataline.out

you can use

tail -f catalina.out

(in the relevant directory) when restarting Jira, or just scroll manually until you find some errors. 

It's just mozilla firefox a freeze. I open this page in another browser and it's ok.

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

how strange...

so in the end, did it work?

or are you still having trouble with the new DB?

All ok i connect to a new DB.

Confluence need the internet out? I can't create a page or edit the old pages.

download circle forever spin.

изображение.png

изображение.png

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

You can try to switch off the collaboration feature.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/administering-collaborative-editing-858772086.html

Also you can check if that port is open:

Synchrony runs on port 8091 by default, and an internal Synchrony proxy means that you shouldn't need to open this additional port.

Sergei Cherevko January 25, 2018

Yes. Disabling collaboration resolv the problem, but how to repair this feature? May be i download the xml log files and send to technical support? may i do that? because we pay money (we have license) to atlassian and may be we have official support to helping resolve problems?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events