Smartlink doesn't work

Raphael Kösters October 22, 2021

Hi everyone,

normally, Confluence convert an inserted URL into a Smartlink. On some pages of mine this process works fine, but on some other it doesn't, so that only the URL is shown. I therefore can't choose the options "inline", "Card" etc. I don't press CTRL+Z, while Confluence does the conversion.

I insert URL from Airtable, which is supported by Confluence.

Any ideas?

Best Raphael

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Hi @Raphael Kösters,

Can you check if the page where the smartlink doesn't work is built with the new or old editor? If it's the old one, you should get a banner in edition mode suggesting to convert it to the new editor. Smartlinks only works when using the new editor.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Hi @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ thanks for the hint which leads me to this article: Change-to-your-content-is-in-your-hands . The problem I described appears on my personal space, not on pages I created new. It seems, that my personal space was created, when the old editor was enabled. That would explain, why the Smartlink as a feature of the new editor doesn't work there. Confluence didn't convert pages created with the old editor to the new editor, so that in my case I can work with both editors, depending on which page I have to edit.

0 votes
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 9, 2024

While generally URLs convert fine to Smartlinks they do not for the odd site like http://loom.com/ or http://imdb.com/.

We built an app called Link Manager to bulk convert links and users complained they these two do not work.

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Hi @Raphael Kösters If you paste a url in confluence page, it automatically converts it into smartlink. Is this happening for any new urls you are pasting or the existing one's ? For existing one's if you have changed the view to "Display URL" once, usually you don't get option to convert them again into Card or Inline view.

Hi @Kishan Sharma thanks for your response. It is happening for both new and exisiting urls. @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ gave a hint which directed me to the solution.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

ah yes, so only the pages which were created using old editor were having this issue and you got it working by converting them to new editor, great!

yes, but unfortunately macros like {section}, {panel} or {column} ar not supported by the new editor

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

ah yes, need to live with those cons :D

Like Raphael Kösters likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events