Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart value to get to the body of the page - possible?

Dylewski,Rafal February 24, 2023

Hi, I'm trying to use Confluence Automation for some auto-tagging. I want to tag the page when some keywords are added to the page's contents. I know I can use {{page.title} smart value to get the title of the page. Is there a way to get the body or contents of the page?

If not using smart values, do you have any other suggestions for analyzing the page's contents to determine if some keywords exist?

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trev Angle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2023

Hi @Dylewski,Rafal, Trevor from the Confluence automation team here.

I have seen people access the page body in an automation rule by using the Confluence REST API together with the "Send web request" action. You can access the HTTP response in later components with the {{webRequest.body}} smart value. So you could potentially use that smart value in a comparison condition to achieve your use case. Check out the other accepted answers for a link explaining how to use the REST API to get a page body.

dave.davison March 15, 2023

This feels like it would be a common requirement for many users and not having access to the page body feels like it would limit the practical use-cases for confluence automations. Are there any plans for Atlassian to include {{page.body}} as a smart variable? 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2023

Hi @Dylewski,Rafal - welcome to the community,

this be done with confluence API. There was a similar post here in the community:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/how-to-get-full-content-body-html-using-confluence-REST-API/qaq-p/710532

Best
Stefan

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2023

@Dylewski,Rafal Welcome to the Atlassian community

I am not aware of a smart value for the body or content of a page.  More information about available smart values can be found here:  https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/smart-values-in-confluence-automation/ 

Dylewski,Rafal February 27, 2023

Thank you. I studied it carefully. If not via smart values, what other approach do you suggest to scan through the page contents? I guess we would need to create some custom Forge app..?

0 votes
Ethan Vaughan December 5, 2023

The question is why the hell is there no smart value to use that we can use to send the page content in an email as an example? This is ridiculous that this is kinda the entire freaking point of Confluence, the actual crap on the page, and that we cannot access it with automation for confluence is a complete waste of the purpose of this application. So dumb.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2023

Actually it IS possible to access the content in your automation. See the provided answeres.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events