Sites not visible for logged in users - but visible for anonymous.

Alexander Schirmer July 10, 2017

Hi folks,

my users can not see the content of pages - even though they should have the right to read articles in the space.

Scenario:

- The space is generally set to allow reading pages for anonymous users.

- Some users have a confluence license (they are members of the group "confluence users". I have set the permission so that those users are able to see an comment on the articles.

- Some users are not members of the "confluecen users" group as they only need to read the articles. They are able to log in as the user directory linked to our AD. All users are members of the AD-Group "Employees". If I try to use this AD-group to permit reading for the users however, a problem turns up:

Users can read the articles, but as soon as the log in, they are not allowed to see the article.

Are there any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thanks in advance! 

Alex

1 answer

1 vote
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Anonymous view is enabled, logged in users lacks permissions. 

-Lars 

Hi Lars,

thank you!

I was not aware of the group for logged in users.

Now I need to find a way to add all users to this group.

But nested groups don't work. Do you have a suggestion for this?

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Nested groups can be turned on. 

Open your user directory and enable nested groups there. 

-Lars 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

Hi Alex,

"confluence-users" is the group you are looking for. You shouldn't have to add your users to that group, everyone who is able to login to your Confluence should be in that group.

Hi Thomas,

but the group "confluence-users" counts towards my license count, doesn't it?

Alex

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2017

Any user or group given the "can use" permission count towards your license. 

-Lars 

They only need to be able to read, so I enabled that for anonymous. But if they log in, they need a license to do the same thing an anonymous user can do without a license?

I'm confused.

Tanks for your help an patience, Lars!

Alex

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2017

Anonymous access is correct when you want users to be able to view content. 

When users log in, they need to be member of at least one group that has the "can use" permission. 

Look at the global permissions for a list of groups that give that permission. 

Look at the space permissions to see what groups are given access to particular spaces.

-Lars 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

Alex,

maybe another explanation for this:

If a user is able to log in, he must be member of the group confluence-users. Someone, who is not member of the group confluence-users is not able to login.

So, you shouldn't have any license problems:

- a user who is not in confluence-users is not allowed to log into your system. He is anonymous and so he can see the space as an anonymous user

- a user who is logged in must be already in the confluence-users-group. You don't have to give him an additional license, he already has one.

Give both groups access to your space, anonymous and confluence-users. That should do it. 

Thank you both for your replys.

This is starting to make sense.

It would make sense for me to limit login to users with a confluence - license. 

Does this collide with their status as customers in a linked JIRA Project?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2017

No, it shouldn't. These are two independent applications with independent user bases.

Ok great.

Thanks again for the help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events