Sidebar HOVER color for a Space

Darin Hafer March 25, 2020

I've learned how to style the sidebar for a Space and found some good tidbits here.

I can't figure out how to change the "hover" color and background color. 

For example, when I hover over Space Shortcuts or the links above it, I see the elements on the page look like '.acs-nav-item' which is an <li> and '.acs-nav-item-link' which is the <a>.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.09.41 AM.jpg

How can I specify the css for these items to change both color and background-color?

I've tried to determine this one and can't figure it out :-) 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2020

Hi Darin,

In the space stylesheet, you can override the :hover pseudo-selector for the class:

.acs-nav-item-link:hover {
}

You also want to ensure that your style is as specific as possible, otherwise use the !important declaration (eg. background-color: red !important;)

In my space, the navigation looks like:

<li class="acs-nav-item pinned_page">
<a class="acs-nav-item-link tipsy-enabled" href="/display/TEST/My+Page?src=spaceshortcut" data-collapsed-tooltip="null">
<span class="icon"></span>
<span class="acs-nav-item-label">My Page</span>
</a>
</li>

so I added the following in my space stylesheet:

/* target both style classes to be as specific as possible */
a.acs-nav-item-link.tipsy-enabled:hover {
    background-color: coral;
}

/* label color is controlled by the label class of the span attribute */
a.acs-nav-item-link.tipsy-enabled:hover > span.acs-nav-item-label {
color: white;
}

Darin Hafer March 25, 2020

Thank you @Gareth Cantrell , I tried:

.acs-nav-item-link:hover {color:green;background-color:red;} 

just to test it out, but it did not seem to work. 

I should have mentioned, this is for Confluence Server v6.8.2. Seems like what I want, but I still get the same hover color as the screenshot.

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

I have updated the original answer with a more complete example.

Your style needs to be as specific as possible (search CSS Specificity), otherwise you can append the !important declaration to your style attributes.

Darin Hafer March 26, 2020

Thank you so much @Gareth Cantrell !!

That certainly solved it for me ;-)

I'm not a CSS expert, but I learn as I go, and as I inspect the page and see the classes and id's of elements, I try to decipher how to properly specify what I'm out to achieve.

This was certainly helpful and thank you for the link about specificity.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events