Side-by-side columns

I would like to have two panels display side-by-side within a column, both at 50% width of the width of the overall column. I cannot figure how to make this happen, and am looking for help! Advice is appreciated!

My current code looks like this:

{section}
{column:width=70%}
{panel:title=Latest News|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#617833|titleBGColor=#00B7EB|bgColor=#FFFDD0}
{blog-posts:5|content=titles|bgColor=#ACE1AF}
{panel}

{panel:title=Getting Help|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#817350|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
Need help? The following places are good spots to check:
* [Link]
* [Link]
* [Link]
* [Link]
{panel}

{panel:title=Getting Started|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#6e8cae|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
[Link]
[Link]
{panel}

{panel:title=Helping us work|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#6e8cae|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
* [Link]
* [Link]
* [Link]
{panel}
{column}

{column:width=30%}
{panel:title=Page Navigation|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#617833|titleBGColor=#00B7EB|bgColor=#FFFDD0}
{pagetreesearch}
{pagetree}
{column}
{section}

If you put this into a page, then you can see that I currently have my left-hand column effectively set into four "rows" but I would like three "rows" with the middle "row" being the two panels, Getting Started and Getting Help. I need to maintain the fact that my Page Navigation is its own column running down the entire length of the right-hand side of hte page.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

It seems like this can't really be done in 3.5.

This widget could not be displayed.
David Simpson Community Champion Oct 23, 2012

Try nesting some more sections/columns e.g.

{section}
	{column:width=70%}	
		{panel:title=Latest News|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#617833|titleBGColor=#00B7EB|bgColor=#FFFDD0}
			{blog-posts:5|content=titles|bgColor=#ACE1AF}
		{panel}		
		{section}
			{column:width=50%}
				{panel:title=Getting Help|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#817350|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
					Need help? The following places are good spots to check:
					* [Link]
					* [Link]
					* [Link]
					* [Link]
				{panel}
			{column}
			{column:width=50%}
				{panel:title=Getting Started|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#6e8cae|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
					[Link]
					[Link]
				{panel}
			{column}
		{section}
		{panel:title=Helping us work|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#6e8cae|titleBGColor=#42BFD7|bgColor=#C0E9F1}
			* [Link]
			* [Link]
			* [Link]
		{panel}		
	{column}
	{column:width=30%}	
		{panel:title=Page Navigation|borderStyle=solid|borderColor=#617833|titleBGColor=#00B7EB|bgColor=#FFFDD0}
		{pagetreesearch}
		{pagetree}		
	{column}
{section}

This is easily achieved in Confluence 4.x, but may not work in earlier versions.

The new layout styles are also a big help and should eradicate some of this nested section nonsense :)

Thanks for this David. I've tried multiple sections/columns as well, but it actually takes me in the wrong direction and leaves me with effectively one column for all my panels. It seems to me that the engine doesn't render {sections} side-by-side. We're using 3.5 at the moment, so maybe I'll have to wait for an upgrade before I can get this to look the way I want. But any other suggestions would be great!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

406 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you