Show parent page name in Recently Updated Macro?

amitter November 17, 2021

Hi everyone,

we have 1 space which we use as an internal wiki. Within this space, we have multiple pages with child pages. For the sake of this example, say we have:

myspace

• parentpage1
    • childpage
  • parentpage2
    • childpage

On the startpage of myspace, I added the "Recently Updated Macro" to show updates on all pages and childpages by date and user.

Let's say we have done updates to both child pages (in parentpage1 and parentpage2), the macro would show the changes like this:

• childpage, updated 5min ago by User1, view changes
  • childpage, updated 8min ago by User2, view changes

Is it possible to display the parent page name AND the child page name, like so:

• parentpage1/childpage, updated 5min ago by User1, view changes
  • parentpage2/childpage, updated 8min ago by User2, view changes

Thank you for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2021

Hi @amitter ,

while it's not possible to achieve what you need with the Recently Updated Macro, consider to work with labels to get quite a similar result:

Have all your child pages labeled with a label referring to the parent page. Then have a Content by Label Macro to display the pages with the defined label(s). Set the "Sort by"-dropdown to "modified" and tick the "Reverse sort"-checkbox. The macro will display the given label by default, consider to untick the "Show space name for each page"-checkbox.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Nicolai

amitter November 18, 2021

Hi @Nicolai Sibler ,

thanks for your suggestion! I think this could work but would mean a lot of labeling. Especially, when you add a new page, you also have to add the new label to the macro in order to display the changes. But it would work!

Thanks again!

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2021

Hi @amitter ,

glad to help.

Yes, you would have to add the very label in the Content by Label macro every time you create a new parent page.

To have the labels added to new child pages, I'd suggest to work with page templates and the Create from Template macro to be inserted on each parent page.

If you have a lot of old pages to be labelled, you may think of a DB query.

Kind regards,

Nicolai

EtienneD April 25, 2023

Hi @Nicolai Sibler ,

do you mean there's a way to automatically label a page with its parent's name? How to achieve this?

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2023

No, @EtienneD , I was talking about adding labels to new pages (via page template) and existing pages (directly on the DB if too many of them to do it manually).

EtienneD April 25, 2023

OK @Nicolai Sibler , thanks

1 vote
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2021

Hello @amitter 

Welcome to the community!!
As per my experience and the available Atlassian documentation, it is not possible to list the page hierarchy in the 'Recently Updated' macro. The macro lists the pages as URLs and can be navigated with a single click.

Also, no 2 pages in the same Confluence space can have the same page title so the scenario which you mentioned would not occur.

Please share if there are any further queries.

Kindly accept the answer if it helps.

amitter November 17, 2021

Thanks @Gaurav ,

Ah too bad, there is probably no other way/macro which can do that?

Correct, but I think the problem of missing (the possibility to display) parent page names still applies. A more realistic example would be the following page structure:

• projectA/2021-10-17_meeting-notes
  • projectB/2021-10-16_meeting-notes

which would result in the following output of the "Recently Updated" macro:

• 2021-10-17_meeting-notes, updated 5min ago by User1, view changes
  • 2021-10-16_meeting-notes, updated 8min ago by User2, view changes

This way (if you don't know which meeting note belongs to which project) it's not possible to see which project was updated, unless you click on it (which can be quite time-consuming if you have a lot of pages). Including the parent page name in every child page (e.g., projectA/projectA_2021-10-17_meeting-notes) is not an option for me.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events